PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Moving to Thailand, need help, place to live
    Pudgimelon Guest

Moving to Thailand, need help, place to live

Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums (by the way, I really enjoy the whole website, good job!).

I have been to Thailand (Bangkok) recently to visit some friends, and I decided that it would be fun to move to Thailand for a year or two.

I have my friends searching for a place for me to stay, but I thought if anyone on here has some leads, that would help out a great deal too.

On my last visit to Thailand, I stayed in the Bangkapi area (around the mall, Lad Prao, etc...), so I'm familiar with that area and would be interested in any place close to that (since most of my friends live near there).

Additionally, a friend might have a job lined up for me down in Trang, so any information on apartments or houses in that area would be good too.

Ideally, I'd like to make the trip with my dog, but she's getting old, so I'm not sure how she'd handle the flight. But irregardless of that, I'd like to find a nice, clean house or apartment that would allow me to have a dog, just in case I decide to bring her.

As for rent, I'm aware that a lot of places like to charge foriegners a bit more (I grew up in a tourist town, so I'm not offended by that, in fact, I understand it completely) , but since I know what rents REALLY are in Thailand, I'd like to get something closer to the local rate. Ideally, a nice, clean apartment that is close to public transportation in the 3,000 to 10,000 baht a month price range would suit me very well.

Oh by the way, a bit about myself. I'm a 34 year old American living in Boston, Massachusetts. I'm slooooowly learning Thai and I work mostly as a Web Designer.

Thanks for any assistance or advice.

Take care,

Geo

Thanks
    Hey Pudgimelon!

Since I've also thought about moving to Thailand and helped out a few friends, there's some things you should keep in mind.

You may want to take a little bit of a risk and get out there with nothing in concrete - ie. a job lined up, apartment figured out, etc. etc. etc. This is because some things are not as they seem. For example, one guy I know went out with a job already lined up and was turned down at the door. These things are uncommon, but it's always a possibility, right?

So far, the most success has been to head out there, stay in a cheap hotel for a little while, and *then* start looking for something permanent - this way you can be sure about what you're getting into; you can check out apartments, jobs, etc with little obligation, and then when you're absolutely sure you may even be able to apply for a work or student visa if you're going to work or study there.

I truly hope that any of this helps and wish you the best of luck with your (hopefully) future life in Thailand!

Jonny

Thread Information