PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Bringing thai goods on the airplane
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

question

Does anyone know how much luggage filled with Thai goods an airline will allow a passenger to check on an international flight?
    Are there any other limitations, like types of products not allowed...etc?

Thank you!!

Thanks
    In the UK in standard class flights the Airline normally allows 20 kg luggage and 5 kg hand luggage.US customs will be similar to UK customs and I suggest you check first.my sister in law recently came to the UK on holiday and she had her bag searched at the airport by customs and she had 20 kg of produce confiscated.She was given a warning that if caught again she would be prosicuted.She had brought,chilli peppers,lime leaves,lemmon grass,fish products,mangoes etc.

Thanks
    The only limitation I'm aware of is the restriction on Buddha images and other religious objects.

Thanks
    I have looked at the US customs web site and there is a long list of prohibited items including fruit and vegetables,meat and fish products,Art and Artifacts.However there is no restriction on textiles and clothing as long as it is for personal use only.Budhist artifacts can only be taken out of Thailand by practising Budhists as far as I am aware.

Thanks
    Yes, I think the Budha images are the only thing that is regulated You do not have to practice Budhism to buy and fly home with it, but you should contact the Fine Arts Dept.

Thanks
    In regards to weight, it varies depending on the airline you are using. Keep in mind if you have connecting flights, you may have several airlines to deal with. The last flight we took our limit was fairly high (considering we buy clthes and CD's) we were able to bring 65 pounds with us. But the connecting flight allowed only for 50 pounds, so we had to pay an additional $40.

Too the US customs/department of agriculture do not allow for plants, or seeds to be either imported or exported to the USA. Outside of this the items Dand mentioned are all I've ever heard being limited (by Thai government, not USA).
    Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak....and in every forum you will find at least one.

When you critisize someone, walk a mile in his shoes first; then, if he gets mad, he'll be a mile away and barefoot.

Thanks
    [QUOTE]The only limitation I'm aware of is the restriction on Buddha images and other religious objects.[QUOTE]
    I was not aware of not allowing Buddha images out of Thailand. My former Thai girlfriends father gave me this small pocket Buddha to take back to Australia, as he always wanted me to wear it in Thailand, By the way I wore it going through the international terminal on the way home to Australia, and no one took any notice. Should this image be returned to Thailand on my next trip.

Thanks
    All budhist artifacts and items regarded as Thai art such as statues of Thai dancers etc are forbidden to be taken out of Thailand unless you have applied for permission to take them out of the country.This involves photographing your items(2) and describing them on the form,this has to be taken to a government office to await review.This is what we are having to do to take 2 brass statues which we bought from chachuchak home to UK.Many people do take things out unaware of the possible fine.If anybody would like to see this for themselves there is the Customs office in Don Muang where we enquired after an exporter at the airport refused to ship our items as we did not have the permission document.

Thanks
    Don't forget Durian too.How you hide still can be caught.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (moppet61 @ Sep. 30 2005,15:46)] Don't forget Durian too.How you hide still can be caught.
    Hi,

Thai durians are yummmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I had tried to smuggle durians into Singapore many times. Once I was being checked by the immigration officers but he was kind enough to let me go.

The trick here is put the durian in a good quality tupperware plastic box and wrape with newspaper (newspaper can absorb smell). The smell will reduce to the minimum (almost cannot smell durian).

Hope it helps.

Thread Information