PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Half american_half thai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey What Ups people.
    My name is TJ, And i was born in the USA I'am Half thai Half American Im just wondering is there any one out there like me who feels there being descriminated against by thais for being born half white. I grew up around thai people but recently my mom has gotten new thai friends( the old ones talked to much Crap). Ever since i been around them i get a lot of insults thrown at me for being half white. I made two new thai friends but they treat me like im dumb when it comes to thai, i get stuff like well ur just a falang acting like ur asian or how do u know shes asian when i talk about girls an the girl are yellow there no mistaking them lol. I dont considered them friends cause of this. but also from adult to. its seem like everybody comes to me when they need help but when i need help with thai they say stand me up an dont teach anything an blame it on me for not learning. I tried asking my mom for help but she like the other thais almost refuses to speak to me in thai. also from the adults i get called the falang about everything no one says im thai or mixed kid. My own mom has said im Falang As she put it "I am what i am" I know most thais or atleast here put FALANGs Above thai but does anyone have similar problems

Am i the only one who expeirences this or am i just crazy

Thanks
    I think they may feel threatened by you in some way - some insecurity or what?

I am not sure I can connect with what you say. But here in my country, I studied and have been brought up much in the South & East of the country which is very different from the North. Whenever, I am back in my native village, the people my age, treat me 'special', very friendly, but hardly ever the same way if I was 'them'. It seems I have physically changed too- so they say. Today, even though I can understand my native regional language 100% I am very rarely allowed to talk for long, without them changing back to English or Hindi. Because I lost my accent and they just do not accept a variation... like its a sign of doomsday for the culture...But all said, I just overlook the situation, focussing otherwise...

Sorry, my little bit of theory, however distant from your real issue.
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    Trangam, your post reminded me about Pira Sudham's works about Isaan. He grew up in a remote Isaan village, later got taken away as a novice monk, and eventually he ended up in the Western world as a student. His English skills are those of a native speaker (or perhaps better, lol) and he writes his books in English. When he returned to his native village, he was treated as a special person; even his brother gave him VIP treatment - but he was not one of them anymore. Just a stranger who was more familiar with their ways of life, but not a participant of it.

I sometimes worry about this, because I haven't been home for such a long time, and I'm not sure how I will be received when I return. How did you feel when you found out that you became an outsider? ... it must have been a bad feeling.

Thanks
    I do not understand why your mom refuses to speak Thai to you. Perhaps she does not understand how you feel. If you really wish to learn the language and culture, make sure you tell her. I wouldn't think a parent would purposely deny a child's right to learn more about his heritage.

I was born in Cambodia, but moved to the States when I was 3 yrs old. This past winter was the first time back to Cambodia since I was a kid. When you have grown up in an entirely different country, you are no longer one of them but a visitor instead. I agree with what Seeker and trangam said in that people treat you differently, as if you are a special guest to them... never truly one of them. But how could you be? Sadly, being away for so long separates you from them. You haven't grown up like how they've grown up and most likely your mentality is different from theirs. Even though my family there tried hard to make me feel welcomed, most of the time I did felt like an outsider because even though I enjoyed my visit to Cambodia... ultimately, it was just a visit.

I would think that since your Thai friends are in the States as well that you guys would find some common ground. I am not too sure why you are met with so much hostility. I think it is harder to "fit in" when you were born out of the country, though. Your ethinicity is half Thai, but your nationality is full American... which, I assume, is why most are referring to you as "farang" (in the broadest term). Unfortunately, the most hurtful discrimination people face is from their own race, and usually it is the most often they experience.

I have friends who are mixed and usually the thing they deal with is understanding where they fit in or they feel as if they have to choose one or the other. Most of the time they feel as if they don't fit in either. It is hard, but the best thing is not to listen to them. You are half Thai and half American and no matter what people may say, they can't deny you that. If not them, find someone who will help you learn more about your Thai side.

Thanks
    Your now 100% American, so you might as well except it.

Thanks
    This post is very similar to another one that starts "are u thai or british?" and would like to state once again that the child is like 'a piggy in the middle' and can be fondled and teased at its parents' discretion.
    Here in Thailand you will read from time to time stories of people such as TJP who, having decided to find their roots in Thailand are discriminated upon for being 'un-thai'. The truth of the matter though is 'jealousy' as eurasians are usually fluent in English, out-going, unconformist and probably most important of all 'good-looking' in compared to their Thai counterparts.
    This discrimination though is very light-hearted amongst the Thais and not anything like as 'nasty' as what is found in the West.
    This kind of story reminds me of Oliver Stone' movie Heaven and Earth, where you are trapped between two worlds. paul_au has remarked that "you are now 100% American" he is kinda right in a way and im glad he used the word American and not Farang. As for a Farang, that you will never be. The same goes for a Farang who has was either born or raised in Thailand, they speak like a Thai, eat like a Thai, walk like a Thai but at the end of the day they are still a Farang.

Pls be reminded though that 'Farang' is not a derogatory word just as 'Kaek' for those of Indian origin isnt.

As for Thai parents not wishing their kids to speak Thai, it is they themselves who have an even worse 'identity problem'.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    I am so surprised people responded to this post. This is my first post so i didn't know what to expect. Im glad im not the only one with this kind of problem, but its still shocking to me. with my moms original freinds the ones i grew up with i was never treated as an outsider. then after my mom broke her freindships with them i lost touch with thai culture completely which was in elementary school then in high school i met the new thai people. i think maybe im so used to american people its feels more harsher. csdncer my 2 thai friends an i both play guitar, there cool when its come to american stuff but thai stuff is a different story. this is what make its complicated is what to do when u an a freind bothdo good thing for each other but at the same time im taking scarcastic comments? i dont know whether to hang out with them or stop talking to them and my momis freinds with there mom
    as for stevesuphan
    "THEtruth of the matter though is 'jealousy' as eurasians are usually fluent in English, out-going, unconformist and probably most important of all 'good-looking' in compared to their Thai counterparts."
    Yea i think im pretty sexy too LOL (Yea Right)
    I think for thai il learn it myself an one day il find thai people who arent so worried about skin color THANKS to ALL for being supportive good luck with all things in life an Rock On LOL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Yea i think im pretty sexy too LOL (Yea Right)
    As a fellow Asian (100% Filipino in Canada) I find Eurasian women *highly* attractive. I once talked to this Japanese/Scottish girl who, aside from being devastatingly gorgeous, also had the Scot accent and I think my face was bright red for a good while.

And when you can make a brown fellow blush, you know you've gotten somewhere!

Thanks
    LOL! CanuckJohnny!

And Seeker, I never felt bad when I found I was practically becoming an outsider, but was very confused for long before finding words for the issue.

Often, I would either try to push myself into behaviourial patterns typical to my native or totally reject it in the process - and either way it was not really fun. That was until I realised that I am a product of my life and not a 'mission' run by others. So, well it has been pretty easy then on!

The only problem in such a case is that when you do not have too many people around you thinking like you, you build theories which you reflect only within yourself. This means I am using words and explanations which are not 'normal' speak. And this means that if I have to ever explain myself to my own people it is rather tough. So, I just assume the situation is a 'premise' . And work thereon - into other horizons! And thus it remains no issue as such.

(By the way, I have often wondered how fantastic it is when someone else speaks about the same issue you have been brooding for long. And suddenly you here another express similar thoughts... right or wrong... and your fickle thoughts suddenly are cooked, for serving!!&#33
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    i understand where you are coming from. i am half thai and i was born in the us also. i often wonder where i fit in, i am not fully white and i am not fully thai. it's just akward sometimes. i have alot of white friends and not too many asain friends becuse of where i live. alot of my friends pick on me because i am asain but i've just learn to accept it. Thats weird that your mother and friends wont speak thai to you. i am trying to learn thai right now and my mother has been really supportive. sometimes i have to show them that i am willing to learn and be culturally adapted.

Thread Information