PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Calling all half-thais!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey everyone!
    My name is Marisa, I'm 23, and I'm Australian born to a Thai mother and NZ father. My mum was actually born and raised in England so English is her first language, and so she never really taught me Thai. I have regularly visited Thailand since I was young, so I have always felt an affinity with the place despite my lack of language skills!

I recently moved to Chiang Mai for six months so that I can study and a Thai university finally learn to speak Thai, and I was so excited to find so many other 'halfies' with similar experiences on this website!

I am writing a paper about the experiences of half-Thai, half Caucasian people and their experiences growing up, how they relate to themselves, whether they align themselves with a particular culture, etc.

I would be SO appreciative of anyone who might like to post or email me and tell me a bit about where the come from, their background, and how they feel about it.

Having never met another half-Thai until moving here, I am so excited to find this message board and read about other people having the same experiences as myself!

Hope to hear from you all soon!
    Thanks everyone
    Marisa

Thanks
    I have a lot of experiences I could tell you about I'm part thai-norwegian,born and raised inNorway but now living in Bangkok.Could I have your email? So I could write you:p

Thanks
    Sure thing!
    Anyone who would like to contact me can do so by emailing marisapbrown@hotmail.com

Jen, I'm looking forward to hearing from you...and others as well!

Thanks!

Thanks
    I'm Thai-American (born in the U.S., parents both Thai). I don't speak Thai either.

Thanks
    If you still looking for some information: luk_kreung@yahoo.com

I am 16 years old, point of view of the younger generation maybe?
    My mother is Thai, born and raised in Bangkok.
    Father is American (French Canadian) born and raised in America.
    I was born in America and raised here but I frequently go to Thailand.
    I cannot speak Thai fluently but I can speak some.
    I am really into Thai pop culture and I hope to make my way into the bizz.
    BKK boy at heart & plan on moving there after university or for it.
    I could go on forever so hit me up if you need anything.

Thanks
    Hola, I am half thai, half American. My mother is Thai, born in Sakon Nakhon.
    And my father is from German Descent and came from Indiana. haha
    I dont speak thai either... other than the pick up lines HAHA:laugh:
    drsushiman@hotmail.com

Thanks
    I'm half-Thai quarter Chinese and quarter Fillipino. I'm barely learning how to speak Thai (and I can read at maybe a kindergarten level:p ) Since I live in the U.S. I don't speak any other language except English. Pretty sad. But I plan on at least mastering Thai. Then maybe I'll work on Chinese and some Tagalog.

Thanks
    I am half Thai and half American. I was born in Thailand but raised in the US. I only speak English. Now that I have a son, I desperately want to learn Thai so that he can learn it too. I know why my mom did not want to name us with Thai names or have us speak Thai, she came here at the end of the Vietnam War and wanted her children to be American. But as for how it has affected me... Strangely enough, I feel Thai when I am around Caucasians, and Caucasian when I am around Thais. It is kind of like you can go to the club meetings, but you can't be a member...
    Do you know what I mean?

Thanks
    I created a yahoo group called Thai-Americans. We're a small group but I hope recruit more people. The group consist of luk kreungs and Thais living in the US

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thai_americans/

Khawp khun ka!

BTW, I'm a luk kreung, too. I look Asian and get mistaken for looking Chinese -- even when I visited China!

Oh, I get a mixture of reactions to my heritage but generally Thai people don't discriminate against me. I don't know. I got the best of both worlds. I get more discriminated bc I look Asian (racism in US). My mom didn't speak Thai to me bc both parents thought it was better to just speak English in the home. Don't know why -- wished they would have. I identify both as an American and Thai. But am leaning more to Thai. There's a draw to it and hope to live in Thailand for awhile.

Hope some of you will join!

Thanks
    Hey everyone!

Thanks for all your responses; unfortunately some of them came a bit late for my essay but it was still really interesting to read everyone's experiences. Growing up in Australia and not knowing any other half-Thais, I sometimes forget that there are people out there who have the same background and go through the same things as me....so it's always great to find other people who can understand where you're coming from.

After a few months in Chiang Mai my Thai is definately better than it was before I left, and I'm excited to get back home in June and speak it with my mum, start going to the local thai temple more, etc. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only slack one who hasn't learned Thai properly yet!

Anyway, thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll catch you all the message board...

Cheers!
    Marisa

Thread Information