PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai people and "half thais"
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I'm new here, but i've been reading lots of the stories and the comments for quite a while.Well,really just wanted to tell my story and see if there are anyone else that have experienced the same or just wanna comment

Im 18 years old,turning 19 next month. My mum's thai and my dad's norwegian, and I was born and raised in Norway. I have two older sisters, we have the same mum, but different dads( they're 100% thai). My sisters came to stay in Norway when I was about 4 years old- It was about the same time when my sisters came to stay in Norway that I started to learn how to speak thai.I remember my mum telling me that I were always very curious,whenever my mum and my sisters were speaking thai I would always stop them in the middle of a conversatin to ask them what this word, or this phrase meant.

My interest for the thai language and the thai culture grew as I got older.I had my mum helping me to learn how to read and write thai,and some days I would stay in my room and just study..I would look in the mirror,focusing on my mouth, trying the best that I could to pronounce the words correctly.It probably sounds a bit silly, but being able to pronounce the words correctly and speak fluently was really important for me..I hatet it when thai people would laught,even if they didnt mean it in a cruel way, but I really didnt like it when they said " It's not correct to use that word, but dont worry about it you're just half thai" It really just seemed like they didnt expect more from me,seeing I was only "half thai" it was good enough that I understood what thai people said and could speak a little.Now people say that I speak fluent thai,and you know what? Im so proud of myself. I never lived in THailand while I were growing up,so being able to speak,read and write thai is a huge thing for me

People usually say that I hardly look thai at all. I have brownish hair,light brown eyes and the typical luk kreung skin color. While I grew up in Norway I never had any problem fitting in with the norwegians, probably because I looked norwegian and spoked and acted norwegian.But it's different when im in Thailand.I've been living in Bangkok for over a year now, and I actually thought that I wouldnt have too many problems with blending in, knowing that I actually spoke fluent thai and all.Well,I was wrong I guess..It doesn't matter if I speak thai or not,for people who dont know me their first impression of me is always gonna be "farang" or im if lucky "luk kreung",they will never look at me as being thai.Im not HALF thai HALF norwegian,my blood doesn't devide itself into one side thai,one side norwegian.Im both thai AND norwegian.I sometimes just really wish that I looked more thai,I just wanna blend in.

It's not that I don't have any friends here,I have lots of friends,lots of thai friends,but the ones I spend the most time with are with my friends that also are luk kreung.It's just easier,many of us come from similar backgrounds and we just understand eachother better.But still I wish that could fit in "more" with my thai friends.

Ever since I've arrived here i've been looking for an extra job after school.My thai family and friends has always wanting me to try get some modelling jobs, "you're so pretty,you're luk kreung, you don't have to have bad paid job at mc donalds " and so on..But what if want to have a shitty paid job at mc donalds? Shouldnt that be up to me? The thing that surprises me is that many people tells me that I shouldnt spend so much time on school,why not drop out of school and become a famous thai "dara"( actress,model,artist so on) It's because im half,everyone just think that I can walk straight onto a movie set and become famous.I wouldnt mind becoming famous,thats not the problem.. its just that I often feel that many thai people look down on me . Just because im half and look the way that I do,the only thing I can live of is my apperance.I get good grades and do good in school, I just really wanna have the choice to choose whatever I would wanna do for myself.

A few months ago a talent scout came up to me at Siam Square and asked if I had ever modelled.Well,I hadn't ...But since I could need some money,I thought to myself it wouldnt do any harm to try it, as long as I got to choose what kind of jobs I wanted to do.Well,I get quite a lot of job offers, but it's limited how many offers I can accept due to school and all.I never though that modelling could be a thing for me, In the beginning it was only because it was an easy job and easy money..But I've had lots of fun and gotten so many new experiences, so its not something I regret doing, but it's not what im gonna be doing in the future.School comes first,modelling is just for fun and extra money.In the beginning I always thought that it was something spescial about me,my charm,my humor so on that was the reason I got the jobs that I did,never thought I might be because I got the farang/ euroasian look.I've been to a lot castings and test-shots ,and in the beginning I always used to get so upset.After a few times I knew now that It wasnt any use trying to talk with the other models while we were waiting. All the "full blooded thai models" would sit and talk and I would usually sit by myself or with some other luk kreungs.Many times we would get it said straight to our faces,well they knew that we could hear what they were saying "if she gets the job,its only because she's a luk kreung,she shouldnt even be allowed here,she's not thai" And for a person that feels thai, hearing something like that..it really hurts.

But to be honest,im glad for all the positive and the negative experiences,I've learned a lot.I don't let the bad comments get to me any longer,I didnt choose to look the way that I look, and I have just as much right to be doing what I want to do as anyone else.

This is just SOME thai people of course,the majority of thai people are great.A lot of thai people treat me just like all other thai people,but still let me express my norwegian side without saying anything negative,that makes me feel that I can be my self 100 %,and that I belong and fit in..None of us chose to be the way that we are,but I think we all just have to accept the ones we are and do the best out of the situation we're in, but at the same time demand the respect that you know you deserve,don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about being the one that you are.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my story...
    I wish you all the best
    Lots of love Jen

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEn_ For This Useful Post:

CandyJ (01-11-13), mikeheart (25-08-12)

Thanks
    I really liked reading your story. Its just so that there is a world beyond the world's we create within our circumstances. And we should always be ready to realise that.

For many a thai you could be their beautiful window, if they get to understand you. Bringing in great views and fresh breeze. For those who think you are a hole in their wall, they will learn...

... and that is life!
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    Wow this story mirrors my life almost completely. We have the same name (Jen's my nickname), similar physical features and very similar experiences and thoughts except I am Thai-German.

Thanks
    it almost joins what I often hear around me from the farangs who are in thailand for a while: for 100% thai there is a paradoxal feeling about "mix thai mix farang" as they say, first there is the fascination for the model or the singer we see on every commercials of bangkok on the other hand they just consider 'em as half human beings. is it jealousy? duno, I really don't know but I'd like to understand this.

Thanks
    Great story! I wish my life was that interesting!

Thanks
    wow..thats pretty much what happened to me haha.
    im am half thai too and half German. But people say
    i look mexican haha. you should email me drushiman@Hotmail.com

Thanks
    Thanks for posting your story, that was really awesome.
    It's so cool that you finally learned how to speak, write and read Thai! I am luk kreung as well, my mom is Thai and my dad is American. I can speak Thai (pretty well), but I can't read or write. I'm definately gonna learn though! I plan on taking a year abroad to study in Thailand, I need to be around the culture and my Thai family more.
    When I am in Thailand, nobody really thinks that I look somewhat Thai either. Sometimes when we go out, people will ask my mom what kind of farang I am (people have asked if I was French, Australian,etc.) right in front of me! On one instance, me and a whole bunch of my Thai family were getting on one of those Thai taxi/buses, and the driver told my mom that he wanted us to pay more money for getting on because they had a farang with them (me)! My sister got on without being noticed because people say that she looks more Thai. Things like that really hurt.

Anyways, I enjoyed reading all the posts, have a good night (or day, whatever it is where-ever you are&#33!

tukay I LOVE THAILAND&#33; <3

Thanks
    who cares, the way the world is...deal with it, no amount of posting on an internet forum is going to change life

Thanks
    Na, it won&#39;t, but I think it&#39;s interesting to see what people have been through and stuff you know? Anyways, have a good day, or night, whatever it is&#33;

Thanks
    Thanks you Jen to share with us your impressions
    \"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.\"

Le petit prince
    Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thread Information