PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Songkran in england
    Thanks
    Hi

I am new to this website and I hope you kind people can help me!
    I am English and my husband is from Thailand. We have a two year old son and we have been living in England for almost three years now. Needless to say we miss Thailand! I would really like to take my husband to a Songkran festival in England this year. I went to one a few years back at the Thai temple in Wimbledon and it was a lot of fun. The only problem is I have searched the net high and low and can't find any specific dates and times! I see that there is one in Birmingham and I presume there will be one again in London but again I can't find anthing definate. I live in Cambridge so if anyone has any info on the Songkran festival in England this year it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Hi,

Here is few details for Birmingham. Last few years, the festival took place in City Centre (Brindley Place) with the coordination of Buddhavihara Temple (Aston). So I have been to the Web Site. http://www.watthaiuk.com/ It seems that the event will be at the temple itself (5 Hampton Road, Aston, Birmingham B6 6AN)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    Songkran Festival, Thai New Year
    at the Buddhavihara Temple
    Sunday 17 April 2005, 09.00 am until 4.00 pm

The Buddhavihara Temple invites Thai people, members and friends of the Temple to our Songkran Festival, the traditional celebration of the Thai New Year. This is one of the major festivals in the Thai calendar and you are invited to join on this special occasion in:

@: offering alms to the monks.
    @:pouring special water over the monks hands
    @:pouring special water over the hands of the older generation
    @:transferring merit to family members who have passed away (you can bring their photographs)
    @:dedicating merit to the memory of those who lost their lives in the Tsunami of 26 December 2004 (you can bring their photographs )
    @:Stalls and Entertainment
    @:Esarn Keaw Restaurant will provide a food stall: All proceeds will go to the maintenance of the Temple.
    @:Thai singers will sing beautiful songs while you are having your Thai food
    @:Lucky Dip
    I don't know if there is any other activities at city centre or not, may be you can ring Aston temple (0121 5151518).

There are also Buddhist ceremony at another temple. Normally they focus on the ceremony, no entertainment but they have lovely atmosphere. I don't know the date, usually it will be Sunday, better ring them for details.

WAT SANGHATHAN
    107 HANDSWORTH WOOD RD.
    HANDSWORTH WOOD,
    BIRMINGHAM B20 2PH
    Tel. (0121) 551-5729

I could not find the details about Songkran at wimbledon either. Though they have websites http://watthaiuk.org/
    and http://www.buddhapadipa.org and Telephone number (0208 9461357).

hope that help.
    cheers.
    TK

Thanks
    Hi

Thank you everso much for the info. Looks like Birmingham it is then!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts
    Hi Sontaya

Do you know about the website for thai people and their families living in UK? Lots and lots of info there and lively forums where you can usually get answers to anything related to Thailand/UK matters, from Visa problems to how to get thai TV in UK

Link here

Thanks
    Hi

That's great, my husband will really enjoy looking at the website.
    Thanks

Thanks
    I had a very enjoyable day at the Songkran Festival at Wat Buddhapadia in Wembly, yesterday (10th April). It was a lovely day out and it was so nice to be able to taste real Thai food again even though at a cost. An average cost of a take- away meal was 4 pounds that's about 260 baht!

There was no water involved in the day. Instead we were entertained by Thai dancing, singing and a beauty pageant.

The BBC are going to celebrating Songkran on the CBBC channel tomorrow afternnoon from 4pm onwards. I don't know the exact time.
    \"I touch the future. I teach.\"

Thanks
    wow thanks for that will have to keep tuned

Thread Information