PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Study medicine in thailand
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

question

Hi guys,
    Im from the netherlands and im in the fourth year of pre-university education/grammar school (how u want to call it). After finishing secondary school, i want to study medicine in thailand if it is possible.. Can somebody tell me something about the level of a university medicine in thailand. Is is the same level as in netherland? And does someone know if there's a university medicine which is totally taught in english?
    -xxx- Sabine

Thanks
    Hi Sabine,

There is an international (English-language) program at the Faculty of Medicine at Chiang Mai University. However, you'll need to have a few years of laboratory experience, as the program is research-based, with only a few theoretical courses.

As for the level of education; it depends on what you plan to do with your degree. If you plan to get a job in Thailand, getting your degree here is an excellent start.

However, if you plan to go back to Europe and get a job there - well, a degree from a developing country will put you in a slight disadvantage.

That's about it. At the end, it really comes down to individual character. I've studied in the US, and seen foreign students with Thai degrees make the Americans look like lazy slobs. So the above disadvantage is only bureaucratic. The quality of education depends only on how far you are willing to go to gain from it.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If you plan to get a job in Thailand, getting your degree here is an excellent start.
    Sorry but i'll have to disagree on this one.. Thais go study in London, Australia, US even S'pore,etc to get a degree and they find a higher paying job in Thailand as compared with local degree.

Of cos, it still depends on ur grades and the University u graduated from.
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    Oh sorry - I wasn't clear enough. I think you are right; in case of Thai people, studying abroad in a prestigious university gives a great advantage. My previous statement was made from the point of a foreigner. If one gets a post-graduate degree in Thailand, that person will already have a good understanding of the language, the culture and society by the time of gradation and looking for a job. Very useful, no?

Furthermore, during the studying years one can build helpful local connections that otherwise would be unavailable from overseas.

At the end, finding a suitable job will be easier with dual fluency and with those connections; also the transition will be smoother than finding oneself in the deep water immediately after arriving in the Kingdom.

I hope it's more clear now.

Thanks
    Krup phom! However, I don't think a foreigner will settle for a local pay?
    I think its better to learn the language, understand the culture, apply for the post from ur own country and get an expat pay.
    Though, I can be wrong.. not everyone works for money right?
    cheers

Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    LOL, your last sentence was exactly what I was thinking to write in reply to your first sentence!

Money is just part of the "pay", IMO, and that's not just empty talk. I made roughly ten times the salary of an average teacher, during my time as a researcher/graduate student in the USA, but I couldn't stomach their attitude and lifestyle anymore, so I abruptly ended my studies over there and chose Thailand instead. The standard of living may be lower over here (financially anyway), but it's much more better in every other aspect, IMO. There are some things that money just can't buy; whenever I look back, it's always with relief, and without any regrets.

Quote[/b] ]I don't think a foreigner will settle for a local pay?
    That's what makes it so wonderful! Knowing that whoever colleauges I may meet here, they are definitely not doing it merely for the money! It's much easier to sort out the truly dedicated individuals from the crowd when there is no crowd.

Thanks
    great contributions here! There, there.. its not always about money although it helps (to have some) ...

cheers

Thanks
    Thank you, Bucky.

Quote[/b] ]its not always about money although it helps (to have some)
    It sure does!

Thanks
    hey,
    thanks for your the replys!
    When i visited the site of chiang mai university of medicine i read this:
    All programs at the Faculty of Medicine are taught in Thai. For this reason, applicants from abroad must be fluent in Thai..
    Are there no other universities where they taught the courses in english??
    What is actually the best university of medicine in thailand, doesnt matter if its thai or english, im just curious

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]What is actually the best university of medicine in thailand, doesnt matter if its thai or english, im just curious
    These are the best (equally) in my opinion so could be different from somebody else's

Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University

Faculty of Medicine at Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University

Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University

following link lists all the international undergraduate and postgraduate programs currently offered at Mahidol University

http://www.op.mahidol.ac.th/orir/int...l_programs.htm

TK

Thread Information