PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Living and working in thailand
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    HI everyone,

I am a singaporean student now taking thai language lessons in my university. My school vacation is going to start soon and i wish i can spend the whole 3 months in Thailand. As my aacaan always say, "you have to learn the thai culture if you are going to master the thai language". The sad part is, i dont think i have enough savings to spent my whole holiday in Thailand. So i am asking if anyone here know of any place where i will be employed in thailand while i learn the thai's way of living? I willing to do any decent job and will be very satisfied as long as the job can offer me some food and loggings. Advice anyone?

Thanks
    You can forget about working legally there. There are alot of work permit issues involved. Even if you do manage to find a 3months job there..you can't survive on those salary. What I suggest you can do is to do some volunteer work. You can check out organisations like SIF or you can check out this website http://www.volunthai.com/
    but these volunteer work will sure take you to the very rural and ulu places in Thailand. Is that what you want? As someone very near your age group...I can safely guess that is not what you want..ha..unless you are one of those studying social work in nus now..

Thanks
    ah yes..I forgot. You can also apply for a exchange program to Chulalongkorn University. And u'll have a full 6months there for all you want. But that's provided your AU requirements allow you to do that. I missed that cuz during that time, I was already in my final year here..and very sadly, the most advanced international modules offered by CU is only equivalent to my 2nd year modules, which I've already cleared. darn. Are we on the same wavelength here?

Thanks
    hey thanks jdepp for your advice. Actually i am rather keen in doing voluntary work, been doing some volunteer work in SIngapore for some time now and it just bring more meaning to my life.
    thanks once again for replying

dannies

Thanks
    Jddep, excuse me for breathing but some of his advice is well.... complete rubbish!

You can not work legally in Thailand! Dont listen to such unwise advice! Its perfectly all right to work here legally for 3 months, for temp work you just need a non-imm B visa to work legally, perfectly easy to get.

What! You cant live on the salary. Sorry but i been teaching here for over ten years and found the salaries very easy to live on and buy a car, get married, raise a kid and mortgage a house!

Check out www.ajarn.com for temp teaching work otherwise just go to Bkk and look around for a job plenty availabe if your not too fussy about working for 5-7 dollars an hour, still- lots to live on in Bangkok if you take it easy. If you want to immerse yourself in Thailand, can do it anywhere. If you want to learn Thai, living in the jungles/rural areas isnt wise as most of the folks there dont even speak Thai but a dialect instead, best place to learn Thai is in Bkk/Central region.

Take advice from a foreigner actually living and teaching in Thailand.
    You can contact me by mail if you'ld like anymore advice.

If you are willing to work for free and only need food and lodgings certainly contact me, can come to my school, im head of languages here.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Dear Steve, you may have misundertood me. I was communicating to a fellow singaporean in the singapore context. Yes definitely you can go on a 3mths non-imm B visa, or you can go on a proper work permit renewable yearly if your monthly pay is above THB 45,000. I have been on this 2 types of visas during the time I worked in Thailand.

It is easy for you to say that you can be comfortable with your salary package now in your school. But is any school willing to pay the minimum THB20,000 - 30,000 to a Chinese looking Singaporean, with no teaching experience, no TEFL, despite the person being absolutely fluent in the english language? You are a farang and definitely those teaching jobs go to you and being the head of languages now, you should be getting a very comfortable salary package.

I'm just trying to say that earning a Thai pay package is simply never enough to compensate what we singaporeans have spent over the years growing up here. Taking this into consideration, do pardon me for what I've said in my previous post about not able to survive on Thai pay. perhaps words were used in the wrong context.

And yes, it was definitely a nice gesture for you to offer him to volunteer in your school, guess that's the best way for him to learn the Thai culture, given the constraints.

Thanks
    Hi Jdepp and Stevesuphan,

I like to thank both of you for your generous comments and suggestions. I had learned much about working in Thailand just from the replies of both of you.

But to be honest, i will need only a couple of meals and a roof above my head and will be willing to exchange my comfortable life here in Singapore for another way of living in a different environment.
    Teaching sounds great to me and i sure will like to teach the thai whatever i can and learn from them as well.

Once again, thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate that

Dannies

Thanks
    Steve, is teaching the only type of work available in Thailand?

Thanks
    Im sorry jjp but:

What! (again) you need to earn 45,000 baht to get a work permit absolutely untrue for teachers!!!

My basic salary is well below that but i got a work permit thank you. Then we got an old Filino missionary here as a teacher who only asks for 10,000 baht a month she also got a work permit, thank you.

Singaporean, excellent i'll be chatting to Director when i see him! Secong best to a Farang. If you read my last blog at thai-blogs.com on teachers you'll read that we were fed up with the couple of slack English muffs we had here last year and have recruited instead a couple of Filipino girls for the next school year, this is is getting more and more common.

As i said even if he hasnt got experience or a teaching cert there are still a lot of back alley agencies/pvt schools crying out for teachers, as a Singaporean should have no problem finding a job.

Pls dont get me wrong i dont earn a blockbuster salary but since i get a work permit/free acco/breaky/lunch and a few extra hours at the weekends i can save well here. Personally i spend just 10,000 baht a month, so plenty left over for taking care of my other financial obligations.

Need any extra info on teaching pls e-mail me at stephensuphan@yahoo.com
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Hi Mat:

There is other work available, i dont know your skill but a list of some other jobs are:

Tv/movie/commercials work (badly paid and unreliable source of income unless you hit it big and get the main part in a Beer Singh ad, most of these foreigners end up teaching part-time)

Telesales (bitta dodgy work here, usually unable to get you a work permit as the salary is not a fixed one)

Dodgy so-called broker companies (can pay especially well but a lot of the work is not actually legal, immigration has been known to bust the foreigners working there)

Timeshare (excellent job on Patong beach or Koh Samui etc.. if you can sell that is)

Writing, proof reading etc... (poorly paid, usually impossible to get a work permit unless you score a full-time job at the BKK Post etc..., credentials etc.. required to get such work, anyone with writing skills can usually find part-time work though, possible to sell decent stories abroad)

I got a few Farang friends who have scored company work through their students. Ok if you enjoy that kind of work.

These are just a few of the other options available, again do mail me if you'ld like any more info
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thread Information