PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
How do you treat thailand?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I am not good at keeping things simple. But i will try. I have a thing about people and places I love. In my mind. And I am curious how others see things they love. Do you, when it comes to Thailand and its culture (and I assume you love it), do any of the followings and why you think its the best way:

Just some points I consider, possible...

HOW YOU DEAL WITH YOUR LOVE (THAILAND)

1. Keep it to yourself, lest others destroy it, because you do not trust your own people attitude..

1a. Keep it even away from yourself, like a fragile bird, lest you hurt it yourself.

2. Tell everyone how great it is open-heartedly with all details included.

3. Tell only those who seek information. And provide lip-service to others. Waiting for them to mature in their questions.

4. Strongly defend its reputation against the popular ideas of thailand among some.

4a. Laugh away the popular perceptions. Doing your own thing in your own time and mind.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THE PEOPLE

5. Meet more and more thai people and soak into the culture as it is.

6. Meet more and more thai people and debate the culture so you get deeper either way.

HOW YOU DEAL WITH YOURSELF NOW

7. Think Thailand lets you be what you always was, but could not express.

8. Think Thailand is a new world opened to you, you never knew.

9. Think you are turning Thai. (remember one song: " I think I am turning Japanese")

10. Think its a fragile relationship, good as long as it lasts. Worrying that it may sour one day? For there are two Thailands one in your mind and another in reality?

There are probably more thoughts that come in your mind? Can you share how you deal with your love for people and places?
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks
    Good question, Tangam, by the way that I have jumped in to be the first to answer, you will know that I have never made any secret of my love for Thailand or of it's people.
    From the first time I stepped on Thai soil, forty years ago, I have been totally besotted with everything Thai, and I have never missed a chance to talk about it. Back then I found that many of my friends knew nothing of the place, and even those that did confused it with Taiwan, which was in the western press quite often.I literally fell in love with the country and it's people, and have worn my heart on my sleeve ever since.
    Thailand has come a long way since those days, but the Thais have, seemingly, retained their character and personality. As a nation it still has a long way to go to catch up with the western world, if it really wants to, and I am not too sure that would be such a good thing to do in many ways, but I would support the Thai people whatever their aim.
    Not having answered your questions directly, I do hope this gives you my perspective. Even as narrow as it may seem. Truly, I can say that the Thai attitude has probably had more bearing on my view of life, and my attitude to it and in it than any other influence.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks
    yes i don't want it to change but as a question, how long do you think the country will maintain this way of life at the moment and not become too westernised or swamped with tourists or people going to live there?

Thanks
    I visited, for the first time, Thailand in February 2005. Not a world traveler, I went on a premise that my friends would be there, one from the USA and one from Tokyo, both American. A fraternity reunion, so to speak. I did the usual crazy stuff for a couple of days but my traveling companion was called home early in the trip, thus leaving me alone in Thailand. I went into the culture and fell in love with Thailand for the brief time I was there. I fell in love with the people, the culture and the country from my limited view. I never heard a voice raised, a quarrel on the street, nor did I meet anyone who wasn't willing to help me. What a true Utopia. Selfishly I hope Thailand doesn't change because I hope to retire there in a couple of years. All this from just two weeks.

Thanks
    argh not fair i'm 20 and want to retire there already hehe

Thanks
    I tell people what a great place, and there is a lot more to see there, and it's not just a place to meet girls.

Thanks
    Dear khunlungphudhu, GeneralSoulfly,daggmar & Paul Au,

Thanks for your comments. What happened to Daggmar happened to me somewhat. And as Khunlungphudhu mentions I have carried my love on my sleeve.

I wonder, if there are more countries which attract such affection from outsiders as Thailand does? I do not know because I have not discussed this with others. Or is it the presence in this forum which has gotten me to think so?

The day I stepped into Thailand, I felt I knew this place and all the streets for a long, long time!!. There was practically a great sense of familiarity. Its true that not being farang did not provide me the even greater hospitality many visitors experience- but that does not seem to matter to me at all. ( And I say this only after some people highlighted it to me)

Does anyone beleive in re-incarnation. I guess all who love thailand probably do!!

However, coming to the points I mentioned first, I treat Thailand as a very special friend. Not disturbing it until I am sure I can give as much as I can take from it.
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    I think there are many countries which have this sort of affection, many more people emmigrate from Britain to France and Spain than any other countries but i am not sure that a lot of them have a real passion for the country like a lot of people have with Thailand, it's more just that it is the easiest escape from England....i remember reading a month or so that about half a million Britains emmigrated abroad last year! errr dunno if that had much relevance now hehe

Thanks
    Half a million Brits emmigrated abroad last year!

I also read once that of a survey of euro countries Britain ranked number one, with more than half the country 'wanting' to emmigrate, no darned woder i say:

Why live in a country where it drizzles of rain 300 days of the year?
    Why have to put up with the worst local cusine in the world of 'greasy this and gready that'?
    Why put up with the rantings on of Brits old folk who do nothing but complain about 'the bus here, the train there'
    Why live in the country where you will be greeted by the likes of "what u lookin' at?", just for smiling at someone.
    Why after a hard days work do you need to stand at a bar, drink warm beer and be served by some old granny?
    Why listen to them whims of the guys at the local pub going on about nought less but football and welfare money?
    Why live in a country that sees the likes of 'Bingo' and 'Meat draws' as rivetting entertainment?
    Why live in a pay where you pay extortianate amounts of cash for crappy services?
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    LoL your good at writing lists stevesuphan! i agree yes....you see on the news French towns and villages protesting and burning UK flags, graffiti with BRITS OUT! as we are engulfing them haha! but yes it is probably the most unfriendly country i have ever been to....about the greasy foods i dream of the day when there are affordable noodle stools on our streets!!!

Thread Information