PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Isaan and chinese opera
    Thanks
    Sawatdee,

Someone said that many performers of Chinese (street) opera are from Isaan. Wondering the reason -- is there a historical reason or the people of that region are just attracted or enjoy Chinese street opera?

Just curious, khawp koon ka!

Thanks
    I heard that too. IMO I don't think there is any historical reason. It's probably because they are good at rememberring the lines (in chinese, even they don't understand a word) and can pronouce them properly. Also may be they are looking good for chinese opera's style make-up.
    TK

Thanks
    Thanks, I read the comment on Richard's blog site. Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe it was popular in the area.

Thanks
    Is the Chinese opera in Teochew dialect? Teochew is some of the major Chinese dialect group in Thailand.

Chinese opera is not only made of different dialects with different characteristic originate from different parts of China.
    Life is short, cherish all you have and live everyday of your life the best you can. :)

Thanks
    Actually these Issan actors might not even understand what they're saying or singing on stage, because all they did is mere memorising of their scripts. One main reason why most actors are from Issan, from what I read somewhere, is that they're cheaper to employ than people from other parts of Thailand. BTW, I'm a hobbyist Chinese opera actor too, but I sing in Hokkien. Hee...

Thanks
    Hi all,

I don't even understand opera in the US let alone Chinese opera! But it's neat to see at least once. Are there schools for Chinese opera?

Just wondering.

Thread Information