PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thailand rocked me...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Oopsie...

Here is the french boy of the forum, now hear my story and forgive the potentials gramar mistakes, but I know you're used to from a french guy, chay may??

My life has changed since this september 1st, arriving in Phuket in order to join a couple of friends in patong, just for hollidays.
    don't wanted to go there, in france thailand is - for the ignorant person I was - reputated as a "prostitute land", I was affraid by this fame.
    the red earth, the green trees, this bloody heat, this gay taxi driver the mosquees...fantasea land and boom : patong beach! I join my friends and they take me to this incredible street in patong (incredible, especialy at night) they said to me : "you'll see, we had a lot of fun here!" and here it starts, ya'll know here what I'm talking about : 4-5 or even more girls, grabing everything they can from you (I mean arm,legs), wasn't able to say anything, just laughing, looking stupid shy and disturbed, making laugh all the "thailand ruff ryders" around saying "hey!lucky guy!!" (in my head thinking while smiling to them : "son of bitch").
    we just walked along the street, and we came back to the hotel. unable to sleep: "where the hail am I??"

the days after (9) it was the same, I was exhausted by this, but at the same time I was attracted by these strange places. don't immagine anything, I never crossed "the limits", it was just about walking here with my silly(not more than I was at the time) friends, laughing, ashamed, thinking about all this crazy world.
    during these days at Ko Phuket my friends were always saying "u will be chocked by bangkok", so as I was quite well chocked yet I was a bit worry.

and then this plane landed at Don Muang (now I know ) and I crossed the city, with big round eyes and not enough attention to catch everything. "THIS is bangkok!"
    silom, sukhumvit soi 3, siam, mbk and so on,chatutjak market and all the farang paradise we could taste were here. Bangkok was the amazing city I heard about. the temperature, the smells, the faces.
    Yup folks, you cannot immagine how the faces I discovered surprised me, in france there is few vietnameses, cambodians and laos but it's not the same, there is something very special, unique with the thai faces, you're just not prepared to.

aye... all those guys calling for ya, damned! what's wrong with them??? do I look like to a atm or something??? please!leave me alone! the first locution I (did try to) use was not "chay" but "may chay". it drove me crazy very very quickly. the worst is when you have a lot of peoples going back from the office to home at saladeang bts and a guy say "SEX DVD my flend".... !!

but why do I say I love the country though? I don't even understand. but I do love the place, the peoples are strange and charming, cannot say! maybe they're making fun of me when I come inside the seveneleven, but I cannot say! may ko djaï! so I start to immagine what my life could be here...
    as I'm a student and it is well know in france that french students have to study abroad at least once, "why not in Thailand??": "shut the f#*$ up you, stupid."

and then I meet the girl. she's a friend of the girlfriend of my bestfriend, who's working here since 10 months and know the girl since 6 months now (you do know why I precise this right?). she is quite cute, but above all, she doesn't look stupid or crazy (that's was my first general impression about the local girls first). moreover she speaks a perfect english and she is shy (how come??). she liked me and I liked her, that's why she accepted to go out, eat and... take her hand.yes. only. and I had to fight to obtain this. no lie. the point is that I had a girlfriend in france and she had a boyfriend in thailand. both for the same length (2 years, shame, I know).it was a nice story between us, during 3 weeks. but I had to go back home.
    so that was with all these feelings and ideas, joys and pleasures in my cerebral memory card that I cried seeing the Charles De Gaulle Airport, Paris.

I bought a thai language lessons book, 14,75 , the price of the truth (I thought). and I learned, a lot, during months and months, reading books everywhere about thailand, siam, sukothai and so on (Im studying history and sociology) just as if it was part of my course at university. everybody around me was astonished "he always talk about thailand" (they couldn't immagine that in my brain, it was worse).

this guy entered in the classroom and he said : "you have to move yourself, wake up! be active and explore around you, you must study abroad if you wanna enter a good master degree! stop to fear what you don't know!" and then my idea was made: "you have to study in thailand!" so started the nights in front of my monitor, seeking addresses and links to thai universities (btw, if you wanna find a thai university I'm the man ), asking to everybody how I could study in thailand. finally I found, and I launched the project.

that was my obsession to recent days, now I know I'll start in august. but that's not the end of the story, sorry.

one month ago I was in hollidays, moving to my apartment in bangkok.
    I was alone all days long, as my friends were working. I had to explore by myself, as I did it few times, last time I went to bangkok.
    that's what I did, helped with my love for the city, the mood here. helped also by my skills in phasaa thai, that makes me "the king of the taxi, can go everywhere from anywhere", and I'm quite proud of this.
    so I go everywhere, walk in every streets (sweated from every parts of my body also) eated every kind of khaophatmouu (I mean, from every corners of the town). now I'm proud, I kow where I get down in the BTS, I can make apointments with friends. the problem is that I have no friends. those who work do not have the time, and even if they have the time they never use the BTS (they don't know what they miss, as we say i french), either they're thai or farangs. the girl I met 5 months before is too busy to give me time (it seems working for a japanese corporation is not paradise) and that's all.
    that's how you realize you're socialy insignificant. you learn loneliness. and you think, you observe as it's the only thing you know to do well. and you realise how much you feel unconfortable sometimes. you're the farang, whatever you do, whatever you say (even in (an awful) thai), but you still love the country, you still try to chat with the mother of your friends to show her you learnt a bit in france with your book, but that's the way it is, you have a role to play and nobody expects you by the side.
    here I feel the loneliness, strongly, when I see sometimes my ex girlfriend, she's with collegues, I try to establish a communication with them but nothing to do... it seems there is a wall.
    do you know the taxi driver scheme? what you always hear, even if you speak a bit thai "go pattaya?baby?ladies?massage?"... are those guys all stupid? all yaabaa fucked up? do they all come from the same province?(this could be a solution but it's not)duno once again (you can notice this word comes often here).

I dated another girl, by the same process, from a friend's and it was different, but once again, unable to understand how she thinks.
    too bad, she's definitly not the woman of my life, so,as I'm patient I stayed with her one week, learning less than I had doubts about thai peoples in certain situations, such as franchise, truth, attention to others etc...
    but I don't wanna judge only from here so I continue my exploration of bangkok.
    finaly, I have to leave and go back to france, before I come back for one year, at the university.
    I just don't know what to think, I still think about thailand, every minutes, every seconds, about people I know there, about the situations I experienced and so on, as if one part of myself always stay there since I went to thailand the first time.

I have one last thing to say now, the french boy has changed since he knows what thailand deals about, he does everything he can to explain to the others around what is thailand, why we should all go there and learn, why this country can change your life.
    I'm thailand addicted and I'm proud to say this, I'm proud to say that I'm addicted without knowing the smell of parlours nor thai grass, not much than I sell fake clothes or bag in my hometown.
    I love thailand for the elephants, the khaophatmouu and this horrible smell in the streets on the morning, for the unstandable temperature, for all the times I heard "may pen ray" and all the time dealers from pantip plaza fooled me of two hundred bahts.
    Here is where I wanna start my real adult life.

thanks for reading. my heart can have a rest now.

Thanks
    cool story! very touching......very intersting

Thanks
    Man thats one of the best stories i have ever read on here...i relate to it very closely as i am the same age as you and seem to have gone down these routes also....pm me if you want chat sometime would be great!

Thanks
    Sorry I could only get through the story to more than the half way point, I'm not one for reading any thing that is to long, but I'm sure it is interesting.

Thanks
    Yes. Thailand Rocks!
    Its one smile is worth 7 lives!
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts
    I enjoyed your post and ... was one of the better contributions to this forum IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'm not one for reading
    doesnt that just say it all

Thanks
    Very open. Thanks!

Thanks
    Yes Very Nice Post. I wish I can be you.

Thanks
    Thailand Rocks. And it does not need English to experience that.
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    I'm quite surprised to read that some peoples are interested on my personal story. I never knew this before and it's sort of touching...
    I decided to open a blog (sorry drsushi, pages and pages of sucking-ass-media ) where I will put some others bullshit like that.

Thread Information