PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
ÅÙ¡¤ÃÖè§ luk kreung life
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

question

Wow....first of all I would like to say that I am surprised at how many half Thais there are on the forum.

I've been reading a lot about the luk kreung forums and I can pretty much relate to them all. I know exactly how you guys feel.

Yes, I'm a "luk kreung" too. My dad is Thai and my mom is American. I've noticed that all the posts have Thai moms and farang dads. I don't think I've ever met someone with a farang mom and thai dad like me. But then again I have met only 3 luk kreungs in my life...

I lived my whole life in Bangkok, Thailand----born and raised. I speak fluent Thai and English and can read and write in both languages...basically bilingual. I just wanted to say that I know how it feels to be rejected by your own people.

I don't think I can get any Thai-er than I am. I've been living here since I was born, went to a Thai high school, know a lot about Thai history (I can even recite the full name of Bangkok (Krung Thep mahanakorn amornratanakosin....etc., which is probably more than an average Thai can do. #### I can even type in Thai), and I'm even a Buddhist (ԡҷ).

You would think that all this would make me be accepted as a Thai person? HA...not at all. To them I'm just another farang. I don't think I look white at all (but I admit I don't look Thai). I look mixed. You can still see the Thai in me, with a little more added.

To tell you the truth, I'm just fed up with these people. All you luk krueng out there who are trying to learn thai to "be" more thai....it won't work. They still won't consider you thai. You'll always have people calling you farang. I have always had people making fun of me for not being able to speak Thai correctly. They say that I have an accent. Yea sure...20 years of living and breathing the culture and I still have an accent?

And what is with this luk krueng craz. Why does everyone like halfs so much. I'm currently attending University in the United States and I can tell you that people see me no different than the average person there...thank goodness. That was one of the reasons I decided to study there. I just need a change in my environment.

Ha ha...in the states I get a kick of seeing people try to figure what what I am. I've gotten....mexican, trinidad, pourtugese, cambodian, spanish, etc. Back in Thailand it's white white white, farang farang farang. I wish people would make up their minds.

In Thailand, everywhere I go people stare at me. Am I just paranoid? Seriously I feel like I'm being watched at every moment (since I was a kid). It's not like that at all when I go abroad to other countries. I just don't understand Thais.

Man that was a long post. Thanks for reading though. I just needed to air that out. I have a lot more to say, but I think that should be enough.

Thanks
    Thanks for writing so much!

Certainly a different side of things. It seems like most grew up with their Thai mothers, and in a foreign country.

Also a pretty dirrect? point about Thai society's view on half-Thais. Thats amazing after 20 years.

Thanks
    halfkid,

You made some very excellent points. I have tried to inform farang who try to "go native" that their Thai friends will always see them as farang. It doesn't matter how long you live there, who you are married to, whether you speak the language, eat sticky rice, silk worms, or whatever. The key is to enjoy your life and those around you and not worry about how "Thai" you are. Even if you are full-blooded Thai, people will make distinctions about whether you are Issan, from the northwest, the south, etc. They will detect differences in your speech and classify you as being different. Some might even come to believe that the only "true Thais" live in and around Bangkok, with everyone else being somehow inferior. LOL
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I have tried to inform farang who try to "go native" that their Thai friends will always see them as farang. It doesn't matter how long you live there, who you are married to, whether you speak the language, eat sticky rice, silk worms, or whatever
    i'm agree with you,visionchaser45. for thai people, the word 'farang' means 'white people'. doesn't matter what you try to do or what you can do, you are still 'farang' in thais eyes.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks
    Actually what I think with your post about Lukrueng is.. Why not&#33; why we can&#39;t stare at you. <I&#39;m a 100% thai gal> but with a good feeling inside. I accept that when I see lukreungs walk pass me I turn back my head and look at them all the time. <may be it seems impoite to them sometimes.> esp. Luk kreung kids whenever I see them, I always look at them and watch what they are doin. Coz they&#39;re cute. <cuter than thais I guess> It&#39;s like when you go to a giftshop. There&#39;re a bunch of stuff that look the same. You&#39;ll look over it right. And of course you don&#39;t buy it. But if you see sth different. You will curious and take a look at it. You will try to figure out what it is. That&#39;s all. So pls don&#39;t think like that na.

Thanks
    Kissi,

So I guess you wouldn&#39;t mind if people stared at you everwhere you went? I guess you would love the attention. For me, I don&#39;t like to be in the spotlight all the time.

I don&#39;t get any of the staring anywhere else but Thailand (not even in anyother asian countries that I have been to). I think it&#39;s a bit weird that you people stare at everything. I was also taught that it&#39;s not polite to stare. I guess Thai people were never taught this.

Thanks
    In response to Gor&#39;s and Visionchasers&#39; comments.

Which Farang on living in Thailand for a long time &#39;he may want to go native in many ways&#39;, wants to be regarded as a Thai anyway??

On a whole &#39;farang&#39; are often much better treated than most of the locals&#33;

Farang can almost always get away with &#39;murder&#39;.

Do you want the Thais to see you, a farang, as a Thai too. Nah&#33; living in Thailand as a farang is much more fun&#33;&#33;
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    It&#39;s all in the eye of the beholder. Although it doesn&#39;t seem like so, this is one of life&#39;s few aspects that&#39;s entirely within one&#39;s control. If one is obsessed with the differences, rather than the similarities, then that person will get more and more of &#39;em. A farang who thinks the differences are unsurmountable will have his life shaped accordingly, surrounded by friends and others who will reassure and constantly remind him about the preconvinced distances.

On the other hand, if one emphasizes the similarities in one&#39;s life, the results will also reflect this. That is, such a person could easily find himself surrounded by Thais who accept and encourage his full integration into the society.

I got such friends. People who treat me as one of them. Folks who interpret the occasional differences similar to those between a newborn and an adult. A "newborn" into Thai culture, if you will.

Of course, this applies to the circle of friends, not to strangers (but I won&#39;t cry into my pillow if the tuk-tuk driver treats me as an outsider)

Just think about it: one&#39;s friends reflect one&#39;s personality. Complain about how no one accepts you as who you are - and you just complained about yourself. Perhaps it&#39;s time to learn about the "looking-glass self". Google it, if you don&#39;t know what it is.

If you change your perception about yourself, or rather, your perception on the difficulty to fully integrate, you might find that it actually works. And no, I don&#39;t mean merely aping "unique" Thai actions such as eating kao nieow and singing doe-nang-doe.

Thanks

Oopsie...

umm, I&#39;m a 100% thai gal. So I guess not many ppl stare at me like they do to Luk kreungs. I just tell you that whenever you see Thais stare at you or Luk kreungs.Yep it&#39;s true that sometimes it seems impolite. But it doesn&#39;t mean that they think of you bad ways. Anyway for me, whenever I see Luk Kruengs kids and I look at them what they are doin&#39; coz they&#39;re just too cute, mann (hmm..cuter than some of Thai kids I guess) That&#39;s all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Which Farang on living in Thailand for a long time &#39;he may want to go native in many ways&#39;, wants to be regarded as a Thai anyway??
    I am not one that wants to be regarded as Thai. I simply like to eat different foods, try different things, etc. because my personality predisposes me to be open to new experiences. I also would never allow myself to be deluded into believing that Thais would ever regard me as one of them. Sure, my full-blooded Thai stepchildren call me papa and my grandson calls me thaa, but I am still farang. Sure, I sit on the floor and eat with people, gamble and drink beer with the neighbors, etc., but I am still farang. I don&#39;t stay in Bangkok where there are lots of farang. I stay in Kalasin, where farang are rare. People stare at me wherever I go. Most are simply interested and curious. However, I can see how luk kreung who were born and raised in Thailand would feel somewhat annoyed. I explained to my wife that in America there is great diversity. We have people from all over Asia, Europe, South America, Africa, the Middle-East, etc., so we are not surprised to see all sorts wherever we go. Some of the people who live near my in-laws have never met or spoken with a farang. It is a very different perspective.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thread Information