PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Me and my parents belong in different worlds
    Thanks

Oopsie...

Hi,
    My name is Pearl. I live in Australia now. It's my home, but Bangkok will always have a place in my heart. However the longer I live here, I start to see Thai culture and people differently and i fight with my parents all the time. I just cannot stand my parents. They are rich parents, but I am not planning to get any cents from them unlike any other rich kids in Thailand. They don't WORK! and don't know how to at all. The moment I start critizing my mother she get pissed of everytime because she believe that she knows what she's doing. When I was in Thailand, my parents spoiled me so much, I don't have to do anything not even made bed!! Since I am an Aussie now and I grew up in Australia, I can seee how bad Thai kids can be treated, they still spoonfeeds their eight years old kidss!! I have an eight years old brother who will turned out like me when I was 13!!!! spoiled kids!!! I try to talk to my parents many time about my brother needs to be more independent not rely on servants!!! I always end up fight with them.... Gosh I am worry about how my brother will turned out and it shits that my parents are so THAI AND I AM SOOO AUSTRALIA1

Thanks
    Good to see you have adopted the Aussie way of life.
    But don't take it out, to hard on your parents, there just a product of there environment, just like you. Show some diplomacy, as you demonstrate your independence and eventually they will not only except your way of life but you will impress them with your independence.

Thanks
    Well said, paul.

Brad.
    Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done.
    Cultivate doing good. It can be done.

Thanks
    everything must have their way out, look for it. i believe that if you try to meet your mum half way, she probably would understand and things could get better. I wish you luck!
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks
    Your parents are not being 'Thai' as much as they are being parents. We all go through this to varying degrees, bite the bullet, agree to differ, and, when you are having trouble with your children, remember![I]
    (From one who has been there, both times&#33
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks
    it is amazing how often i hear this about hi-so thais and luuk krueng children about how spoilt they are.

please never blame your parents, embrace the best of the two cultures

Thanks
    Everyone has her or his situation, and only you know whats best for you. But... i think...

...there is nothing wrong in itself to be rich or not-rich. There is nothing necessarily wrong in having servants and an easy life. What is wrong is if the situation corrupts you to the extent that you hurt your fellow being, take away their independence or exploit them. But it does not have to be so. Lot of people use it is as an opportunity to do more. Some become lazy.

For some independence is about being fickle with life & people. For some its about building a strong mind & personality through personal experience & relationships with other people.

For some being bond to parents & family is a natural choice of love - where participation and being together is an extension of your own being. Here the wife serves the husband not because the husband demands, but because she loves him. The husband toils for the wife not because she is exploiting him but because he feels a duty for someone he cares for. In the right context, the undying love of parents for their kids all-through provides the security to take on distant shores...

But... for some its a cultural bind providing few alternate options.

I think each culture has its own profound meaning by time and circumstance & the way we grow to love it or not. We cannot extend our personal circumstance to decide the lives of others.
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thread Information