PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Surviving in thailand
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Alright my friends, lets put you guys in a situation.

Lets say you when to Thailand with the intent of staying there for awhile. you brought 800$with you to live off of but now its gone cause someone stole it or it got lost or whatever.

And no theres no ATM card ok so you have no money.

How would you survive? Tell us your ways

Thanks
    Go to my ambassy and ask for help.
    "My computer goes down on me more often than my wife"

Thanks
    Get a job?
    Get someone to send you some money through Western Union?
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks
    My friends will help me out... until I get more money...
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    Interesting question!!! I think if such things happened to me, I will go to my own embassy for help. Hence, before you travel to any country, it is important to find out where is the location for your own embassy and I believe it is a good idea to have their contact numbers as well.

Another thing which I can think of is to get to know some friends in the country that you intend to travel. Technologies are so advance nowadays, you can get to know these friends through internet chat rooms. But of course, you would have to treat them with sincerity before they trust you.

Anyone has further suggestions?

Thanks
    Never put all your eggs in one basket. My first time, I wore the Docker's "mobile pant." They have pockets all over the place, many of which are hidden inside other pockets. I also wore a money belt under my trousers. I also take a combination of cash, credit cards, debit card, and traveler's checks. Now that I am married and have a family living in Thailand, I simply take cash and a debit card. My wife is always with me and my chances of being ripped off between Don Muang, Mo Chit, and Kalasin are pretty slim. If I get in a jam, I can always rely on family. Only an idiot would plan so poorly so as to risk loosing everything is one shot. IMHO
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (visionchaser45 @ Aug. 14 2005,03:26)]Never put all your eggs in one basket. My first time, I wore the Docker's "mobile pant." They have pockets all over the place, many of which are hidden inside other pockets. I also wore a money belt under my trousers. I also take a combination of cash, credit cards, debit card, and traveler's checks. Now that I am married and have a family living in Thailand, I simply take cash and a debit card. My wife is always with me and my chances of being ripped off between Don Muang, Mo Chit, and Kalasin are pretty slim. If I get in a jam, I can always rely on family. Only an idiot would plan so poorly so as to risk loosing everything is one shot. IMHO
    Nono..its not about losing everything..

I'm asking..how would you survive if you were in Thailand and had nothing.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]I'm asking..how would you survive if you were in Thailand and had nothing.
    A Farang wouldn't have a chance. Thais have a sort of floating currency, where people will help you if you don't have money and you can pay them back later. Of course, if you have a bad reputation for abusing people's kindness they will probably not be very willing to help. On the other hand, Farang have very few connections and are usually expected to be self-reliant. I doubt one would last very long.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (visionchaser45 @ Aug. 14 2005,11:52)]
    Quote[/b] ]I'm asking..how would you survive if you were in Thailand and had nothing.
    A Farang wouldn't have a chance. Thais have a sort of floating currency, where people will help you if you don't have money and you can pay them back later. Of course, if you have a bad reputation for abusing people's kindness they will probably not be very willing to help. On the other hand, Farang have very few connections and are usually expected to be self-reliant. I doubt one would last very long.
    Hmm maybe your right but I really think in the end its all about the person's will..haha I like survival things as you can see..I mean, alright, he/she might feel upset for a couple of days cause htey have no money etc but once they finda job
    they are on their way

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]...once they finda job
    they are on their way...
    That's the problem. They will have to resort to doing something illegal. At the very least they will have to work, which is illegal without a permit. Even so, most Farang would complain bitterly about having to work so hard for 100 THB per day. Of course there are other illegal things one could become involved in that pay more, but it takes a certain type that we need less of in this world anyways.

People will give you food sometimes, but there are also trees and other vegitation that many Thais know are edible that Farang know nothing about. There are also insects, small reptiles (lizards and snakes), etc. that many Thai people eat that Farang wouldn't even think of eating. Those of us that do eat those types of "specialty" foods are the exception, rather than the rule.

All in all, I still think a Farang who was flat broke would not have too much of a life in Thailand. Add to the above problems the language barrier and you have a formula for complete disaster.

Thread Information