PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai job offer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thai job offer

Thanks
    All.

In England I work in IT for an NHS Trust. I like the work and the pay is okay at £26000 p.a. but I don't like or enjoy life out of work and in some respects I feel pretty unhappy.

Going back to Samui was for two weeks was like a breath of fresh air to me. Seeing my Thai friends again made me forget UK and after only 5-6 months of learning Thai at home I was complemented by Thais on how well I spoke it and they had no trouble hearing and understanding what I was saying (a girl in a shop even thought I lived in Thailand). I still have a very long way to go to be proficient but the compliments all helped to boost my confidence and being able to laugh off mistakes made me worry less about making them in the first place. The Thai people are very patient and more than willing to help me with vocabulary and sentence structure and I have left Thailand with a lot more knowledge than I went in with.

After my trip to Samui in March this year I started thinking about about finding an IT job in Thailand but because all of my friends are on Samui I am pretty limited to where I would like to work. During my stay on Samui this time I saw an advert for a computer technician with the I.T. Complex on the island so I sent in my C.V. to see what they thought. They e-mailed back asking me to go in for an interview the following day.

The interview was with the CEO, the Technical Director (both Germans) and a Thai national and it went very well. They were pleased with my CV and after an hour or so they said that I could have one of the jobs if I wanted it. I said that I would go back to UK and have a long think about it and let them know. It pays a lot less than my current salary but I expected that. At 32'000 baht per month it is enough to live off but it is still a big step to take considering the IT market in UK is very slow at the moment so if things didn't work out for whatever reason I would probably have trouble finding IT work again in UK. That is my only real concern. I know I like Thailand, the food, the climate and the people but leaving everything behind is a big step. I don't know if it matters but the company are going to be floated on the Thai Stock Exchange within a year and there will be oppurtunities within the company so working there before that happens may be useful. I'm not sure about this but if I was already working for a Thai-based company would it make it easier to work for other Thai companies? I'm thinking about a better, higher paid job in the future here.

I am going to ask my work if I can take a years unpaid holiday but even if that is okay, can anyone suggest things I need to think about so I can make a decision? I want to have as much information as possible so I know exactly what I would be letting myself in for. The company on Samui have said that they will send me a letter which I would need to take to the Thai Embassy in London to get a 1-year work permit. I think I would still need to do a border-run every 30 days to renew my visa but again I am unsure about this.

Any help here would be appreciated greatly.
    if you can't find the needle, burn the haystack

Thanks
    Hi harikeo,

After reading your post, I seriously urge you to consider carefully before making any decision(s). Firstly, even though you are willing to take a pay cut but consider all the inconveniencies such as the border-run, immigration procedures, etc, you need to do every 30 days. Is it worthwhile?

Secondly, like what you had mentioned, there are risks involved. As for now, you are currently visiting Thailand as tourist. In an event that you had accepted the job offer, you will be working and living in Thailand. I am sure this may cause a great cultural and diversity shock. The perception of tourist and working personnel is totally a different issue. And should you not able to adapt to these changes, you will be heading back to UK to hunt for job again where you will have a difficult time in securing a job. Are you ready to take such risks? Are you able to rise yourself if you had fallen? Hmm..

Well, I guess the most important factor is not whether you should continue to work in UK or relocate to Thailand. The most important factor I believe is your attitude towards your job.

Choose your attitude. There is always a choice about the way you do your work, even if there is not a choice about the work itself (Stephen C. Lundin, Harry Paul & John Christensen, 2000).

I will suggest you read the following book:
    Stephen C. Lundin, Harry Paul & John Christensen, 2000, FISH!: Catch The Energy & Release the Potential, Many River Press.

It is 112 pages book that boost morale at work. Its easy to read too.

Hope it helps..

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply strangerdoom

I understand there are big cultural differences and although I spent most of the time with Thai people from all over Thailand I still have a lot to learn. I have a bit of difficulty in being able to understand what a Thai person says because to me all Thais speak quickly. I suppose that will change given time.

I'm not sure about the type of Visa the company will apply for. Are there different types? They have said that I will get a 1-year work permit but I thought they said that the Visa length might not mean I have to do a border run every 30 days. Maybe I heard wrong???

I will speak to my work on Tuesday to see if I can take a years unpaid leave and if that is possible I won't really have anything to lose apart from lost wages and for me the experience would outweigh the financial loss. If I can't take unpaid leave I also have friends in UK who could give me work if I needed to return to UK, but it wouldn't be IT work.

I know I love being in Thailand with everything it has to offer me but I still have big decisions to make. But ... at the same time I wouldn't want to get to be old and have a big "What if..." in my mind if I don't take the opportunity I have been offered.

Thanks
    Hi harikeo,

I know you would want to live life to the fullest. Your heart now belongs to Thailand. I do hope that you company does allow you to have a year of unpaid leave. Speak to your HR/boss regarding this matter. Maybe your company does have some projects in Thailand and you can work in Thailand as an expat. Even your company doesnt have any projects on hand now, with your frequent visits to Thailand, try considering finding some business opportunities for your company.

Honestly speaking, I do admire you determination and courage!!!

Best of luck in whatever you do!!!

Thanks
    That's a pretty low salary you've been offered and is about the same that a Thai national would get for the same job.

Even if you dont like your job back home on the south coast, howabout just slugging it out for a year so? and then you could spend a year over here in Thailand without needing to work (se if you can take that one year off work).

You'll only be able to get yourself a non-immigrant (3 month) business visa. Then you'll just have to keep renewing that every three months at a Thai embassy say in Laos or Malaysia. Very doubt, on that kind of salary, you'll be able to get a work permit.

It all sounds rather risky to me. Be careful.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Thanks for your input stevesuphan.

I have sent the company an e-mail because they did say during the interview that the money might be more, but no fixed amount was given. That is one thing I have queried with them.

I have also queried the Visa / Work Permit as well. During the interview they said that they would give me documents to take to the Thai Embassy in London and I would get a 1 year work permit. If that isn't the case I won't be taking them up on the offer.

The company doesn't appear to be a rip-off company, but you never know until it's too late. They are soon to be floated on the Thai Stock Exchange but not knowing enough about Thailand I don't know if that really means anything. Everything I could see looked above-board and the premises is excellent with good equipment and well staffed.

I'm going to wait to see what salary they offer me and what the permits turn out to be before making any decision. I have a lot to think about so all help is good. Thanks again

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (stevesuphan @ Aug. 22 2005,12:39)]You'll only be able to get yourself a non-immigrant (3 month) business visa. Then you'll just have to keep renewing that every three months at a Thai embassy say in Laos or Malaysia. Very doubt, on that kind of salary, you'll be able to get a work permit.
    I think u need to declare at least 45,000baht to get the work permit.... thats the mininum right? At least thats what I declared... But if its teaching maybe the mininum sum is lower?
    I just went to the immigration and labour office today... I can't even get 1 year extended visa even though i've already been here for slightly more than 1 year!!! ... due to some cockups in paperworks and miscommunications ......... *sigh* and i read recently Singapore and Thailand was on par for being "efficient" in the custom office......... friendly (yes) and easy to apply visa..... yeah right.....
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    Thanks BUCKY you've given me some more information to get back to the company with. It's beginning to look like this won't work out for me but hey, at least I would have tried. The CEO and Technical Director were both pleased with my CV so maybe they will come up with a better offer which will allow a work permit.

The next best thing would be stevesuphan's suggestion and to save money before taking a year out to travel Thailand without working.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (harikeo @ Aug. 22 2005,17:23)]It's beginning to look like this won't work out for me but hey, at least I would have tried. The CEO and Technical Director were both pleased with my CV so maybe they will come up with a better offer which will allow a work permit.
    U might want to check with this company too if they are willing to pay for your social secruity fund and withholding tax... also, lodging and transport...

45,000THB per month might not be alot for u, but its considered quite an amount for average Thai... u should be able to live quite comfortable with this amount in Thailand... provided ur company pay for ur lodging and transport.

Good luck...
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    If I was offered 45000 a month I would be able to accept the job. I have already seen accomodation which is a 1 bedroom house with air con, sat tv, a dining room, kitchen, a small garage and access to a beach for 8000 baht per month. With a moped it comes to 10000 per month which is okay by me. With all other expenses, (I'm quite a cheap person to run as I don't smoke or drink much and prefer quiet nights rather than clubs), I would be okay with 35000 per month 'spending' money.

I'm waiting for a reply to my queries from the company so when I get one I'll let you know what they say.

Thread Information