PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Culture

Thread: Culture

Thanks
    What is thai culture to you? and if you are thai how does it come into your daily life?

Thanks
    It is 95% Mono culture, which is far better than that dog eat dog and social conflicts that occurs in multicultural countries such as Australia.

Thanks
    If we use the reducing method, there is a quick solution for everything... but so it seems only. When we try to reduce the situation, we need to reduce a whole lot of other things we never envisaged.

Now, you want to reduce the current world to revert to blocking out migrations. Than you have to tell people not to fall in love when going abroad. You have to tell people they have no choice but to live with the scenario they are brought up in, irrespective of human rights issues, possibilites of creating more value elsewhere etc. You have to explain the Red Indians and the aborigines as to why they are not part of this reductionist plan. How many years back to monoculture will we consider - 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 or back to the day either of our holy books were written? Then what about the diversity between the perceived mono culture. It probably is supressed. Inside Thailand and inside many a other 'mono cultures' lie a host of differences - buried and tacitly forgotten. What about re-generating them? Because till date the 'victims' never found words to express their sorrows, but this will.

My point is, the world is going global and with that also will be emotions, circumstances, opportunties, mobility, challenges etc.. That does not mean that everyone should look the same, but we will have to learn to respect diversity & live with it and find ways forward with it.

Sure, there are people who cause problems in this change, in a negative manner, but that is a problem we have to deal with. Else, lets bury our basic drive (& of course libidos too&#33 and go back to our respective lands.

The world will change. Some parts slow, some quick, some may not. No one can stop it totally. But we can manage it keeping alive the diversity intact! Any other wish is just a wish.
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    Edgar H. Schein (2004) defines culture as: ...a pattern of shared basic assumptions that was learned by a group as it solved its problems of external adaptation and internal integration, that has worked well enough to be considered valid and, therefore, to be taught to new members as the correct way to perceive, think, and feel in relation to those problems.

Of course, there are other definitions. I personally like this one because it captures the idea that culture is the product of the unique learning experience of a group with a common history. Culutres can evolve as more members enter the group and the external environment exerts different types of pressures, however, it is still the product of a group learning experience.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    hey everyone, i need help with my thailand report. i need to talk about the immigration of Thailand. I don't know what should i write about the immagrtion of thailand. please, help me.

Thanks
    I don't want to get entangled in these endless runs around "culture", but I'd just like to comment that Thailand is far from being a mono-culture. the way Steve pointed this out in a neighbouring thread when he set out to find the most Thai-Thai province was an interesting summary.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_au
    It is 95% Mono culture, which is far better than that dog eat dog and social conflicts that occurs in multicultural countries such as Australia.
    Paul, Paul, Paul

I haven't seen much of Thailand yet, only Phang Nga, Phuket and Krabi Provinces, but what I have seen is a helluva long way from monoculture.

Seing as you've brought it up, here's a cuppla things about Australia you might like to consider:

Our social conflicts mostly look trifling to the rest of the world.

Social conflict in Australia has much stronger roots in economic inequality than it does in any other kind of difference (including "racial" and religious difference). Remember the down out heel white kids who rioted in Macquarie Fields?

BTW: If you are feeling nostaligic for a monocultural Australian utopia that has been lost, you might want to consider the possibility that not only has Australia never been a utopia, it has never been monocultural.

Thread Information