PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai kindness

Thread: Thai kindness

Thanks
    Glad i found this forum, it's great to find somewhere to share experiences of Thailand and get information from others. Here's what happened on my birthday in Thailand.

I am a 19 year old student and on my Gap year i decided i wanted to go to Thailand as it's something i've always wanted to do so i got my ticket and spent 2 months there. After the first few days in Bangkok i decided to see what Nana Plaza was like, i was 4 soi's away so i thought why not. I was amazed as you can imagine so went to an open bar in the middle of the clubs as going in was certainly not something i was ready for. The people at the bar were really nice and i had a good evening there drinking and talking.

For the next few days i was approached by almost all the bar girls there until they realised i wasn't there for anything other than a drink and company. They seemed to like the fact that i just liked talking to them and didn't want anything. One woman even called me her little brother and made sure i didn't drink too much. I felt really welcomed and it kept me coming back as they were wonderful people.

The people at the bar all knew when my birthday was as i'd told them i would be having it while i was in Thailand. I wasn't expecting anything but a quiet drink and that's all i got at first until the lights dimmed. The lady behind the bar then produced a lit birthday cake and 20 bar girls began to sing Happy Birthday to me and cheer as i blew out the candles. The rest of the punters looked rather envious at this. For the rest of the night they bought me drinks i even got a teddy off of one of them. It was such a great moment i almost felt like crying, I couldn't believe that these people i didnt know that well had gone out of their way to get a cake and celebrate my birthday with me. They dont earn much yet they were willing to spend money on me. They really made me feel welcome and i now know i have friends there the next time i go back.

This just shows the overwhelming kindness of thais, this was just one incident, admittedly the most amazing, but there were other instances of kindness around Thailand which made me fall in love with the country and people, one bargirl even gave me a present to give to my mother. And a guy i met on the plane over to thailand took me by car to his office which was near my hotel then ordered a taxi for me in Thai. He is now a good friend of mine and i keep in regular contact.

Thailand truly is a land of amazing people. This kindness would not be seen in England, my local landlord hardly knows i exist let alone when my birthday is.

Thanks
    Hey Zeeky, welcome to the forums and you'll have to check out the blogs too. Nice story and the kindness I encountered in Thailand far outweighed the times when I felt I was being viewed as "the bank".
    "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little." Sydney Smith

May all beings be happy, may all beings have peace.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The rest of the punters looked rather envious at this.
    Pretty group-specific terminology for someone unfamiliar with the "scene." Also, why use inclusive language (i.e., "the rest of"), which clearly identifies you as a member of the group? Don't get me wrong, as I have nothing against anyone who is enjoying life without hurting anyone else. I am glad you had such a good experience, whatever your motives for being there. Remember, we are all just people, regardless of our occupations. Thai people are, on the average, very warm and friendly. That's how the country got the nickname "Land of Smiles."
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    Sorry if it seemed like i was making a generalisation. Perhaps i should have used the term customers

Thanks
    In the bar, the quiet person who does not go for it immediately - typically, is a long-term investment!

Please take my comment as a joke - 70%!
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    i suppose that's one way of looking at it though i like to think they weren't after anything. I admit there were people who tried to con me or coerce me into buying products i didnt want but 98% of the Thai's i met were amazing people. Although it is a tired cliche you cant say that it doesn't live up to the 'Land Of Smiles' promise.

Thanks
    I started going out at night during me student days here and can darned well say that i gotta lotta attention. One: i could speak Thai and Two: i was so young in comparison to the other customers.

Guess, you were right in feeling that some of the other customers were slightly envious. Don't play on it.... but some of bargirls like fooling around around with young Farangs just as they are different from most of the other regulars. For a relationship though 'no' they prefer older guys as they think they got the cash to flash.

Most folks here know that i don't advise on serious bargirls relationship but sure as you have mentioned most Thais regardless of their profession do have 'a warm heart'
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]In the bar, the quiet person who does not go for it immediately - typically, is a long-term investment!
    Very funny and more so because I was listening to my friend espouse that strategy today regarding his next trip.

Yes Steve, in that venue cash is king and why the girls are there and we should all do well to remember that!
    "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little." Sydney Smith

May all beings be happy, may all beings have peace.

Thread Information