PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Tipping in thailand
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    A Thai "friend" who worked in the Hotel as Room Service Attendant complained that S'poreans are "kii nieow" and they never give tips...
    Well, he told me this after spending the night with me, my Thai gf, his girlfriend and himself at a local pub while i, alone paid around 1,800baht for whiskey, mixers, snacks and not forgetting the chicken rice supper....

I explained that its because in S'pore, most services included Service Charge already in the bill so S'poreans are not used to giving "additional" tips....

I understand that sometimes people in the service line like waiters/waitresses expect tips... but, is it nessasary to give "additional" tips if there're already Service Charge included in the bill?

After being a while in Thailand, I don't see Thai leaving tips too... occasionally yes, but often no....

So what say u? How much tips is reasonable then? 5%? 10% on top of the Service Charge?

And whats up with the waiter/waitress who like to pass the change back to my lady partner when I was the one who paid the bill?
    Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would tip based on the service at the restaurant. I suppose it would be around 10%. When I first came here I felt like not taking the change when I ate at my regular roadside stalls. But they never liked me doing that and always insisted I take my change. But, at restaurants, it is always expected. Unless, of course, it is made clear a service charge is included.

I have sometimes "tipped" samlor drivers that I considered to be honest. You know what it is like when you look like you are out of town and they can often charge you through the roof. Once, when I was in Kanchanaburi, I haggled one guy down to what I thought was a reasonable price. He eventually agreed and we set off. The journey took so long that I soon felt embarrassed that I had knocked his price down so much. So, when I reached my destination I gave him his "asking price" and told him to keep the change.

Thanks
    IT depend,for me I give 50-100B.depend how good they are?(room svc.and resturant).Tour guide 1/2day tour 100b.each.to both driver and guide.I believe Singaporean are stingy.Because they see thing the other way round.But not me
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks
    Having taught at a few hotels in Bangkok, ive heard from me students there that most of them seldom get to receive all those tips that were part of the 10% service charge.

The service charge you give is split up between everyone at the hotel/restaurant and that includes the accountants and personal manager etc... no wonder the waiters get chessed-off that the big-bosses get a hatch of their tips when their measily salary of 7,000 a month is compared to the personal manager's huge 50,000.

No wonder they ask you to give another tip on top of the service charge of 10%.

But since there is a service charge already then you are certainly NOT obliged to give an additional tip. I certainly don't.

Bucky: It's not just Singaporeans, all the other Asians have a name in Thailand for 'stinginess'.

As for say... Samlors as Richard mentioned, i also do exactly the same as him. Then, with the price of petrol these days i don't mind leaving the taxi drivers a little extra as the cost of their meters hasn't risen lately
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And whats up with the waiter/waitress who like to pass the change back to my lady partner when I was the one who paid the bill?
    LOL, I almost laughed out loud when I read this part. It happens with me every time! Whoever friend I eat out with, they are always embarrassed about this "custom", and couldn't (or wouldn't?) give an explanation either. My guess is that there are so many losers running around with their money-bought wives, that whenever Thai service-people see a local and a foreigner together, they automatically assume that they are a couple, and that they are that kind of couple.

This mistake happened with me in Isaan too, even when I was by myself... merely because I spoke in Thai!

Thanks
    I too support No Tipping .Why?Because it can do harm to tourism.You see when A give tip to roomsvc.,he receive well,and when B give no tip,I don't know what will happen to his food?(mean extra ingredient),or slow response.So tipping actually spolit by western colonialism.See what happen to Hong Kong in the 80'.,been brand as the most discourteous country.All because of tips.Now they turn around to be the most courteous . And forgive me if I offend anyones out there.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (stevesuphan @ Sep. 19 2005,20:40)]Bucky: It's not just Singaporeans, all the other Asians have a name in Thailand for 'stinginess'.
    Except the Japanese! The ladies have good words for the Japanese! Its so unfair!

Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (SiamJai @ Sep. 20 2005,11:07)]
    Quote[/b] ]And whats up with the waiter/waitress who like to pass the change back to my lady partner when I was the one who paid the bill?
    LOL, I almost laughed out loud when I read this part. It happens with me every time!
    My personal theory is that the waiter/waitress knowing that I'm a foreigner, will pass the change to my Thai lady partner cos they think "Thai ruk Thai"... Thai will help Thai and leave them big tips..................

When I first arrived Thailand, I even give tips to car park attendants for holding my car door.... my Thai friends told me its not necessary cos "its their job".... so I stopped...

Well, I still give tips if there're extra services provided... once there was this waitress who peel off the shell of the BBQ prawns for my table.... gave her a 50... thats great service!

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]I too support No Tipping
    I can't say I totally agree with this thought. Yes, I definitely see your view, because waitress/waiter are individual also with human temptation. But most are pay at low salary, and tips probably play an important role in their income. Here's another statement from this topic...

Quote[/b] ]their (waiter/ess) measily salary of 7,000 a month is compared to the personal manager's huge 50,000.
    This seem so unfair, but it is very common in the business world. Wouldn't this sound great....your salary of 40,000 (USA &#036 starting out. But guess what.....your CEO is probably receiving $300,000 or more.

Thanks
    With Thai couples, the woman usually manages the money. Native Thai members can correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I have learned from my own experience. Perhaps they just give the change to the one they believe to be the money manager.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thread Information