PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Tipping in thailand - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]My personal theory is that the waiter/waitress knowing that I'm a foreigner, will pass the change to my Thai lady partner cos they think "Thai ruk Thai"... Thai will help Thai and leave them big tips
    Yes Bucky, I can see how it could apply in some cases. If you've read Pira Sudham's works, (who is a native Thai, kon Isaan too), you might remember his description about the outrage of some Thais when he stopped them fleecing a foreigner. They were angry that he violated "Thai help Thai" - apparently an unwritten rule of some sort. Although the situation is different here, an unwritten "Thai rak Thai" rule might be the cause, like you said.

Also, I don't know about you, but for me, well-known Thai-Thai customs don't give much explanation. First of all, why are we considered couples by default? I highly doubt that a Thai man and woman about same age, both with uniforms, buying some stuff at the university cafeteria are considered a couple by default. They could be classmates, colleauges, friends or the combination of these. In such cases, there is simply no "money manager" to speak of. Whoever pays, gets the change, period.

Guess what! Leave everyting unchanged in the above scenario, but substitute the Thai guy with a foreigner. What a difference it makes! Then the duo is automatically a 'couple', no alternatives considered. The reason for this is quite obvious. The number of men having professional working or academic relationships with Thai women is minuscule, compared to the huge number of Thai-foreign couples.

So Bucky, if you happen to have genuine Thai friends, and you like to hang out with them, welcome to the club! I guess we don't have much choice but to put up with the stereotyping.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]With Thai couples, the woman usually manages the money.
    Well I would never let that happen to me. I prefere my own management skills

Thanks
    Regards tipping,
    I don't believe in tipping. In Thailand it is not expected, and I think the waiters waitresses ect, get a fair wage in comparison with other Thai workers with the same skill levels and education level, so to get any thing on top would be considered a fringe benefit, that would not be afforded to other low skilled workers in Thailand.
    In Australia, there is a minimum wage, and all low skilled workers receive this minimum wage, so tipping is not expected in Australia, and every Asian country I have been to.
    Now in the USA this is a different matter. The waiter or waitress, get a wage much lower than most low skilled workers, what I would refer to as, about half the real minimum wage, so waiters and waitress expect to be tipped in the USA and right so deserve it.
    Personally I'm very stingy and proud of it, I don't tip any where in the world, including my trips to the USA and I get some strange looks, but it is my protest, as waiters and waitress should receive a minimum wage, as these workers are just being exploited by there employees.
    When I was a full time business man, I always paid my employees reasonable wages and gave them bonuses every 6 months, rewarded on there performance, now Hotels ect in the USA should start putting signs out side, telling customers, no tipping allowed in these premises, and they would find, they would get more customers, and so could afford to pay there waiters a decent wage at no extra cost to the public.

Thanks
    Let me give yous a bit of insight into the mentality of the Thai people in regards to caucasians.

Believe it or not, caucasians as a whole are pretty respected in the 'Thai idea' and hold decent social status. An example of this is in the rural areas of the country where any old Farang can go stroll along and he or she will be soon be given the best seat at a social gathering or at a host's house etc...

In retrospects, this is not only due to the kindness of the Thais but also your social status as a caucasian.

When that darling of yours, who is plonked at yer table turns around and gives the waitress a higher tip than you would usually, it is because she is doing it probably to help you 'save face' and not cause she is 'thai love thai'.

Thai men of the same respected social order would automatically give a decent tip as they already realize the social norms, where as the caucasian does not.

I have heard stories similar to the above ever since i arrived and geez.... did it take me a long time to get me head around this thinking!?

At the end of the day however it does kinda make sense. But, as always, most Thais dont mind if you make a few traditional blunders - as that also, only makes sense.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (visionchaser45 @ Sep. 21 2005,07:43)]Perhaps they just give the change to the one they believe to be the money manager.
    But it don't make sense if I'm the one pulling the money out of MY wallet and handing it to the waiter/waitress......

I definetly will not appreciate it if the waiter/waitress handed the change to my lady partner and she in turn leave some tips.........

Its just like this time when I was with a S'porean Indian friend at RCA and u know there're those little young child selling roses to the clubbers... my friend asked me for a 100THB and passed it to the kid and telling her to go home.... my heart was like, "wat the ####?! If u wanna do good deed, u should be using ur own money!!!"....... he never returned me the 100THB btw....

ps. i'm not stingy about the 100, ok?

Paknam Web Network:​ Thai Travel News and Online Guidebooks

Bangkok Daytrips: Weekend drives and daytrips around Bangkok
    Thailand Guidebook: A free online guide to all 76 provinces in Thailand
    Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (stevesuphan @ Sep. 21 2005,19:55)]When that darling of yours, who is plonked at yer table turns around and gives the waitress a higher tip than you would usually, it is because she is doing it probably to help you 'save face' and not cause she is 'thai love thai'.
    ok, fair enough.... but what if i needed that last 20THB for taxi?

Thailand Blogs: Daily articles and photos about Thai travel, culture, food, religion and much more.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (SiamJai @ Sep. 21 2005,17:27)]So Bucky, if you happen to have genuine Thai friends, and you like to hang out with them, welcome to the club! I guess we don't have much choice but to put up with the stereotyping.
    Sometimes sterotyping is not too bad in Thailand... we gotta admit generally foreigners are treated better than the locals in terms of services like what stevesuphan said.....

Like the prawn shell peeling incident. My Thai lady partner was impressed cos no waiter/waitress had ever done it for her....

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (moppet61 @ Sep. 20 2005,14:34)]See what happen to Hong Kong in the 80'.,been brand as the most discourteous country.All because of tips.Now they turn around to be the most courteous . And forgive me if I offend anyones out there.
    Well, some are still not very courteous by now.
    Sometimes I just want to yell at those ppl.

I would say Hongkongers were so well off in the 80s. Many ppl got quick money. Now, after the financial crisis and all, people in the service industry are more concern about their business and the society as a whole believe tourism can save Hong Kong. So, the atmosphere is different. I think it hasn't much to do with tips.

Thanks
    Hi Muay Thai,I have my personnel experience with the hotel towel staff in the toilet.After using the loo,out of courteous for giving me a towel to clean my hand.I give him HK$2(in 1988),he return back to me in a rude way by saying in cantonese,I want HK$5,NOT 2...
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]I give him HK$2(in 1988),he return back to me in a rude way by saying in cantonese,I want HK$5,NOT 2.
    I would have given him the towel back, and demanded the HK$2 back and used my acting skills to impersonate some one who is violently deranged.
    This is the very reason, I never give a tip, it can be often not appreciated and I don't see some one who is getting paid to do a job as a charity case. If I was going to give money to some one who needed it, I Would give it to my parents who are on the old aged pension or to some charity who would distribute it to the needy, not the greedy service staff of a hotel or eatery.

Thread Information