PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Where to stay in Chiang Mai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Where to stay in Chiang Mai

Hi Y'all. I'll be heading to Chiang Mai for a week at the end of November. I'm kinda stuck on where to stay when I get there. I don't mean which specific hotel, but which area? Do I want to stay in old town? By the river? Some place else?

I'm not interested in the bar scene (don't drink), and plan to spend most of my time during the day going on day trips or renting a motorcycle and exploring.

Anyway, I just don't know what the different neighborhoods offer, and why I should choose one over another.

Give me your thoughts.

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks
    Stay anywhere within the city limits and you will be within 15 to thirty minutes of any other part of the city. It is not that large, and with a motorcycle, rentable from many places around the moat or Thapae Road area, you should have no problem. Make sure you have a helmet, police love farangs without!
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

Thanks
    I liked the Moon Meuang Soi 9 area in the northeastern corner of the moat. lots of guesthouses and nice restaurants, near the old city, but without the loud bar scene. well, two years ago at least. but that's just personal preference over all the other neightbourhoods I tried.

Thanks
    I frequent Chiang Mai and if you tell me your budget, I may be able to recommend.
    ดาวตอบบ่อยๆ ฟ้าไม่ตอบ

Thanks
    My budget? Cheap as possible. ;-) More important than price is what I want from a room:

Clean
    Relativly quiet (not right on top of a noisy disco)
    Air conditioning
    Western Toilet
    TV would be nice
    Restaurant & ability to book tours within a short walk

Other than that, I'm good. I don't plan on doing much other than sleeping at the hotel. No fancy lobbies or exercise rooms required.

I don't drink or dance so I'm usually bored at night. If there's something else to do in the evenings in Chiang Mai, it might be nice if I could get to it relativly easily. But I'm guessing no matter where I stay anything is within reach of a short tuk tuk ride.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Restaurant & ability to book tours within a short walk
    This pretty much limits you to the eastern-northeastern part of the city. I don't know how good it is in other aspects, as I'm only there when I have to pass through. Good luck.

Betti, I'm surprised that there was a nice part of that place two years ago! I went there to check it out when I settled down here. I just think of it now as "the quarantine section".

Thanks
    (oh well SiamJai, things do change.... I'm not surprised. :-) Moon Meuang Soi 3&4, south from the Tapae gate, were far worse back then. I also stayed with my boyfriend north from Pratu Chang Pheuak, all-Thai block, I liked that too, but for different reasons.)

Thanks

Gor Gai

I see, lol...

Wishing you the best luck for getting a really good place when you come around next time! One thing's for sure: living in an all-Thai neighborhood changes one's perception on Thais... even more so, when you actually live with them, no?

Thanks
    I actually like small, family-type guesthouses. in Chiang Mai, in that "quarantine area", once I stayed with a family who only had one room for guests - they really treated me like one of the family, I got invited for dinner and played with the kids and helped the teenager son with his English homework. I prefer that kind of atmosphere to tv and aircon :-)
    (geeee I'm threadjacking.... sorry :-) )

Thread Information