PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Vegan meals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegan meals

Thanks
    How hard is it to find vegan friendly meals in Central/Southern Thailand? I understand it would be easier in Bangkok, but what about smaller towns? Would I have to cook for myself instead?

:namaste

delawang Guest
    It is a little difficult to find vegan meals. Not much has changed since I posted this on the topic Saying no meat, please

Thanks
    I have heard that some vegan food is quite tasty. Guess it depends on how it is prepared.

Thanks
    My brother, a vegetarian, has lived in Thailand for 12 years and he gave up trying to get meals without fish sauce years ago. If you think you can tolerate a little fish sauce you should be OK in most places. You will always find vegetable dishes without meat or fish and some places will have tofu. My brother eats eggs, so his standby is an omlette, which is also common. Try saying "gin J", but I think that will only get you a meat-free dish, not vegan. If you cook yourself you will find everything you need in supermarkets and 7eleven stores everywhere. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thank you everyone... I like to avoid fried food as well, so I may end up preparing my own meals most of the time.

... so what does "gin j" mean exactly?

delawang Guest
    Gin means eat. J, in that context, means Chinese. Chinese Buddhists are vegetarian, hence the derivation.

Thanks
    Delawang,

You probably got it wrong, "J" does not mean Chinese, instead, it is derived from a chinese word that means "vegan food".

delawang Guest
    I have heard that and words come from an old adjective meaning Chinese. The only other example I can think of is the word ح/lock which derives from Chinese machine.

Chong, your derivation might be correct. Do you know the Chinese word, and do you have any idea where it comes from? If not, can you research? I would really like to know.

Thanks
    Delawang,

I know the chinese word, unfornutalely I can't type chinese on my computer, the mandarin pronunciation sounds close to "jai", the "J" is taecheow dialect pronunciation. A vast majority of Chinese Thai are of Taecheow descent.

delawang Guest
    Thanks- that will get me close.

Do you know about the religious reasons? Are the Chinese vegetarians who gave us the word Buddhist?

Thread Information