PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Streetstalls
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streetstalls

Thanks
    Hello everyone,

Anyone in the mood to recommend the finger food found by the streets? I had some but didn't know what it was called, apart from the hygiene, the taste was great.

The variety is astonishing so i wonder if there are any catogorised as 'A must try?'

Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Thanks
    I've gotten sick from food twice while in Thailand. Both times from food at a proper restaurants. I have yet to get sick from food served up on the street.

I have one question about a certain street snack(?) I've seen. Sometimes you will see this guy riding around on a bicycle with a rack of, what looks like, dried squid. What exactly is it? And how is one supposed to eat it? To me, it smells horrible.

I think it's hillarious how Thais refer to hot dogs as "sausage." One time I was at a restaurant for breakfast and I ordered a western breakfast, and the waitress asked me if I wanted any sausage with my eggs. "Ooooh, that's sounds pretty good. Definietly!" The next thing I know, out come my eggs with a side of hotdog.

"Random Witty Comment"

Thanks
    That "squid" thingy is actually cuttlefish. It is a very popular snack in many east Asian countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, etc.

You have to eat it with a type of sweet chilli sauce. It is quite chewy, therefore not everyone will like it. I must say it is an acquired taste much like "smelly tofu".

To wanna, why dun you try some of those fried insects that they sell along the streets at the night markets.

Thanks

shocked

The cuttle fish is good, you should try.

Personally i love the pineapples sold by the roadside.

Any one else got good food to recommend.

Oh yes, Makiyo, i have tried the insects but i rather classify it as exotic snacks. LOL.

Cheers
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Thanks

This is a street hawker selling "dried cuttlefish"

http://www.thailandlife.com/hawker.html
    http://www.paknam.com/food.html

Thanks
    Yeah, that's the stuff I was talking about--cuttlefish. I'm not sure if I should try it. It smells sooo bad. When ever the guys pass by with the cuttlefish I hold my breath.

Sometimes I'll buy somtam from street vendors. I always tell them to only put in a small amount of peppers, but I think as a joke they always throw in the hottest peppers they can find. I think Thai people get a real kick out of watching foreigners eat their spicy food. One time I was waiting at a motorcycle stand for this guy who drives a big cruiser bike (I like getting rides from him because his bike is really comfortable), and when I sat down, one of the other motorcycle guys offered me some somtam. And as I took a bite, everyone went silent, and every single person was looking, trying not to laugh as I was trying to hold back tears. Finally I fire started shooting out of my mouth. Everybody started talking really loud and I started shoving cabbage down my throat to stop the burn. Ah, why do they do that?!
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thanks
    If you are not into spicy food, then I would not recommend it because the sweet sauce can be rather spicy. And if you take it without the sauce, it can turn out to be like salty chewing gum.

As for your experience of being treated to spice against your will, I must say that it is absolutely hilarious. Even if they meant to do it deliberately, I'm sure they only meant it as a joke.

Thanks

Re: Streetstalls

Does anyone know the name of the fruit or vegetable that street vendors sell that is originally green (I think) and the vendor peels it (its white like a pear inside) and slices it and sells it raw with a small wooden skewer to feed it to yourself. It has a consistancy like a pear crossed with a potato, but is sweet and juicy. I loved it, but have so far been unable to find out what its called in either Thai or English. It had a slightly crunchy texture to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mostly found it in street stalls around Khaw San Road in Bangkok - at least the last time I was there - Feb, 1991. Thanks
    Last edited by symboybot; 11-07-07 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Streetstalls

Could be guava. Was it hard inside with a rough texture? In Thai they call it "farang".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

Thread Information