PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Grand palace

Thread: Grand palace

so happy!

Hi! I and my husband are going to Bangkok and I wish to inquire if you would recommend us going to the Grand Palace on our own or if we join a group tour. Will it be cheaper if we go there on our own? How much is the entrance fee? In case we decide to explore on our own, aside from the entrance fee, will there be an available tour guide when we get inside to show us around and explain to us the place. If we go there via tuk-tuk, how much would it approximately cost us roundtrip from Pratunam to the Grand Palace. Do the tuk tuks charge per person or per ride?

Aside from the Grand Palace, can you please arrange the following from the 'most recommended' to the 'least recommended' place to go as follows:

1) ROSE GARDEN
    2) SAFARI
    3) ELEPHANT SHOW ( where is this?)
    4) FLOATING MARKET

The arrangement you will make will help us prioritize our itinerary in case we run out of time or we fall short of our budget.

Thank you very much in advance for your advise and more power to you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I wish to inquire if you would recommend us going to the Grand Palace on our own or if we join a group tour
    Going on your own is no problem as thousands go every day.

Quote[/b] ]Will it be cheaper if we go there on our own?
    Usually this is true but don't forget that if you go on a tour the transport and guide is included. Also, you don't have to worry about getting lost!

Quote[/b] ]How much is the entrance fee?
    If I remember right, it is 220 baht each.

Quote[/b] ]will there be an available tour guide when we get inside to show us around and explain to us the place
    At the main entrance by the main road you will be approached by official guides. However, once inside you will see an area advertising free tours at certain times. I cannot remember these times but I know every time I have been I was there at the wrong time! The entrance fee includes a free booklet which is enough for most people. They also sell a really good book on the Grand Palace by the main entrance.

Quote[/b] ]if we go there via tuk-tuk, how much would it approximately cost us roundtrip from Pratunam to the Grand Palace.
    I am not sure about that. Most tuk tuk usually start at 60-70 baht and up depending on the distance. They will try and cheat you too if they think you don't know the fair price. I suggest you go by meter taxi as it is air-conditioned and the meter will start at 35 baht. Sometimes this is cheaper than the tuk tuk. Both taxi and tuk tuk charge one price for as many people as you can get inside. So, you sometimes see ten Thai people in a tuk tuk made for two!!

Quote[/b] ]Aside from the Grand Palace, can you please arrange the following from the 'most recommended' to the 'least recommended' place to go as follows:

1) ROSE GARDEN
    2) SAFARI
    3) ELEPHANT SHOW ( where is this?)
    4) FLOATING MARKET
    That is very difficult as it depends what you like to see and what you have seen before.

The Rose Garden has a cultural show which is quite interesting and also does an elephant demonstration. The Elephant Show is nearby. Safari World is like a zoo but with shows too. Floating Market is good.

You can do a tour for one day that goes to the floating market first and then stops at the Rose Garden on the way back. i would do that.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks
    If you go on your own, beware of some well dressed, polite persons outside there. They may claim that the place is closed and then try to persuade you to go gem shopping. Don't fall into this, it's a scam. Remember if something sounds too good to be true, it most likely is not true. Whether the Grand Palace is open or not, can be easily checked from the main gate. Also remember the dressing code for foreigners; a shirt with sleeves, long trousers for men, long trousers or skirt for women and if you wear sandals, they must have a strap behind heels.
    Grand Palace is one of the most impressive sites in Thailand so enjoy it.

I've been several times and, frankly, I'm glad I went with a guide the first time (of course, I had to be rather stern with the "no way" comments about stopping at the gem stores on the way back). The guide, who spoke excellent English, gave a good history of what I was seeing. Since the first trip, I go without a guide and have even "guided" other friends through the place. I'm amazed each time I see it.

Thread Information