PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Getting around in Bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I just returned from Bangkok. Getting around in Bangkok is not an easy task. With the pollutions and traffic congestions from morning till evening.
    The two popular forms of transport here are Taxis and thouk-thouks. The cost of transportations here are very cheap comparing where you come from.

Whenever we are in a foreign countries, we are afraid of being ripped off, especially by taxi drivers. So Bangkok is no exception.
    To be on the safe side, we hailed taxis with meters, that way we are safe, so to speak. Think again! I suggest you think again. I had this experience by taking a taxi with meter on from my hotel to Patpong. I had no idea how far was the distance. From hotel to Patpong, took us about 25 minutes to reach my destination, and the meter read at 69 Bahts.
    On my returned trip from Patpong to my hotel, Most of the taxi drivers asked for 100 Bahts. I thought I was being ripped off. Then again at such an hour (midnight), I was willing to give to him. The taxi driver reached my hotel in about 10 minutes.
    What does it mean? That is to say my hotel was somewhat near to Patpong, maybe 5 km or more. So the first taxi driver knew all along that the distance was short, in order to make a reasonable money, he had to go a longer distance to sustain his earning.
    What I am trying to say, fixed an amount for the taxi driver,
    100 bahts is a small sum( about 4.50 Sin Dollars/2 USD). The Taxi will reach your destination in a short and quickest time than if you take by meter. Who knows, you might end up paying more than that, considering if he chose a traffic congested road and in longer time. Time is very important in Bangkok, after all there are so many taxis in Bangkok, everyone have to squeeze for a living.

The other one is Thouk-thouk, but charged a little lower, about 50 -80 bahts. If you don't mind the fumes and heat, surely the fastest way to reach your destinations. If you have
    to take one of these, for experience memories by all means.

Never, Never at all times, rest your elbows at the side or stretch out your hands especially pointing to something for your friends who were with you.
    These drivers are experts in weaving in and out of the traffics. Fold you arms at all times, if you want to go home in one piece.
    There are so many of taxis and thouk-thouks, fighting for a slice of cake to make end meets. Have pity on them, pay a little more, think in terms of which countries you come from,
    extra 10 bahts are nothing to us but very vital for them.

Thanks
    There are also the motorcycle taxis and the BTS Skytrain. The motorcycle taxis are my personally favourite, they are by far the fastest mode of transportation. You can spot them by the clothes of the rider. The riders will be wearing red, yellow or green vests. These motorcycle taxis will weave in and out of a traffic jam in no time. The thrill factor due to the dangers also makes this an exciting way to travel. The setback is that it only sits one.

The BTS Skytrain is also a favourable way to travel. It's fast, never gets trapped in a traffic jam and is generally clean. The cons are that it gets very crowded during the peak hours due to the office workers. I like sitting in the skytrain because you get to observe the various emotions on the faces of the Thai office workers and they sure aren't smiling.

Thanks
    It is possible that going is more kms than coming back. This is because of all the one-way roads in Bangkok. Sometimes you have to go the wrong direction first before going the right direction! However, I am not sure if this was the case with you. Where was your hotel?

Thanks
    Enjoy the ride! When traveling in a place you are not used to it is ok to get "ripped" Until you know your way,
    around enjoy the adventure

Thanks
    In Skytrain and taxis, do they have problem with air conditionning? i had impression to be in a Fridge!
    About taxis, i heard that red and blue taxis had no often a car insurrance and in case of accident, it can be a problem for the customers. Is it right?
    \"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.\"

Le petit prince
    Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks
    I stayed at Prince Palace, which is Bo Bae Tower, It was one of the two incidents. The other one was from Hotel to Chatuchak, In this case, to Chaktuchak, I took the thouk-thouk which I bargain for 80- Bahts. On the returned trip, I took the taxi, because the weather was very hot. So I hailed the Taxi, I wanted to give him 100 Bahts for the journey, but he insisted on going meter. So after
    sometimes I realised he took the other way( I am familair with major roads in Bangkok). He should be following along the Shytrain road towards Mahbookrong then turn right straight to my hotel. But he took the road which I knew, that is via Rama VI, It took him more than half an hour journey to reach my hotel. I scolded him(he can speaks chinese) for taking me the long way, but the fare was 100Bahts, I would be glad to give him 100bahts for the fastest way back, It makes no difference, he was caught in a traffic jam on every roads. Thouk-thouk took me lest than 20 minutes

Thanks
    Travelling in Bangkok is a great experience, especially the Tuk-Tuks... they are my favourite

Thanks

panic

hi...everyone.....i went to bangkok last Christmas........i stay there for 4 days...i have great fun overthere...almost dont want to come back.......during christmas eve, me n my friend go to the RCA streets where there is a lot of Disco n it oepn until 6am in the morning.....we have such a great fun that we plan to go back to bangkok this coming April...........can some of u recommen some hotel to us???....thank you very much

Thanks
    Hi peach_girl, that depends on what your budget is
    I suggest you read the following topic... it contains info and links to hotel-sites.

http://www.thailandguidebook.com/cgi-bin....1;t=250

Thanks
    I remember I was once hanging out on khao sarn road with some friends and I had to go to work in the morning, so I hailed a tuk-tuk to take me back to my apartment on Asoke Rd. I asked him if he would go and how much, and he looked at me with a smile and was like 250 baht. Obviously I was shocked ("ไม่เอานะเพ่"). I think the cheapest price I've ever paid to go that route was 50 baht, and the most was around 70 baht in a taxi with a meter. So, when negotiating with a tuk-tuk driver, it helps to know the average cost of getting somewhere by taxi.

Another strange situation, I was once negotiating with a motorcycle taxi to go somewhere. I knew the cost was 40baht, because I was familiar with the distance and traffic conditions. When I told the motorcycle guy that I would not pay more than 40 baht, looked at me and said "Oh, but that's the Thai price. You're a farang. I can't take you for 40 baht if your a farang." Weird, huh?
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thread Information