PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Food in thailand
    Thanks
    Hi! I need some suggestions here. I go Thailand almost every year and I always find it a headache when it comes to ordering food. Simply because I do not know all the dishes that are displayed at the stall (say food court at Big C) because they are all in Thai. I mean I can read words like chicken and noodle but many dishes are unfamiliar to me. So any suggestions what I should do? I am trying hard to learn more dishes so that I have a chance to try them. I was thinking of observing the food at the food court first and then go over to the table to ask the thais? Would I be seen as a weirdo? Haha!
    ดาวตอบบ่อยๆ ฟ้าไม่ตอบ

Thanks
    as long as you make it clear that you want to know what kind of food they are eating and that you are sincere and not going to proposition them, you should be in the clear.

Thanks
    I'd recommend learning the alphabet, little by little, until you can read and have a rudimentary knowledge of how to pronounce them. That way, you can go anywhere in Thailand and halfway read what you can order. It's not too tough to learn the alphabet; all it takes is a little practice and a lot of hard work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CanuckJonny @ Mar. 02 2005,14:31)]I'd recommend learning the alphabet, little by little, until you can read and have a rudimentary knowledge of how to pronounce them. That way, you can go anywhere in Thailand and halfway read what you can order. It's not too tough to learn the alphabet; all it takes is a little practice and a lot of hard work!
    Make some Thai friends in advance and request them to help you while you're in Thailand.
    Life is short, cherish all you have and live everyday of your life the best you can. :)

Thanks
    Actually, I can read thai. Almost every word I see. However, if you know about dishes, you will know that not every type of dishes can be known from its name. That's the problem I was describing. You see, I can't just order without knowing what it is right?
    ดาวตอบบ่อยๆ ฟ้าไม่ตอบ

Thanks
    Aaaaah, now I understand. In that case, I'd get some Thai friends to help you understand what you're getting when you go out.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]You see, I can't just order without knowing what it is right?
    Do you have deadly food allergies? I don't have any, and I actually get a kick out of ordering food without knowing what's in it. I tend to be quite adventurous that way.

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks
    Sounds to me as though one or two good Thai Food recipe books, possibly written by Thai chefs, would be of benefit to you.You may or may not be into cooking, per se, but at least you would gain a very good idea of what goes into every dish.
    Personally I enjoy reading a good recipe every now and then, almost taste it, and certainly dream about a good feed afterwards. I do not know if there are any in the online store, but most good western book stores carry a fair selection of Thai cookery books.
    Worth a look.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks
    I don't have deadly food allergy but am sea-food allergy. However, I don't mind trying out new things.. but the other four persons I am bringing along with me may mind. Anyway, it sounds to me like Jonny is changing my problem instead of recommending a solution. Haha. Thanks anyway! I guess I will go for cook book recipes!
    ดาวตอบบ่อยๆ ฟ้าไม่ตอบ

Thanks
    Sorry about that, man!

If you're looking for some good, down-to-earth Thai cookbooks, try Googling the Thai cook Vatcharin Bhumichitr. He's kind of got a Martin Yan-ish simplicity about him.

Thread Information