PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
No time to waste (advice on stopover)
    Thanks
    Our Family has one day stopover in Bankok, getting in at 10:55pm on a Monday Night, staying at the Viengtai Hotel, leaving Wednesday morning. So basically have all of Tuesday. Priority would be shopping but would like to see some sights. Someone recommended Khao San Rd but markets mentioned elsewhere look good. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    You are not too far from the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. You are also very close to the river so I would consider renting a long-tailed boat (about 400 baht for an hour) to explore the Thonburi canals and asked to be dropped off at Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn). This is on the opposite bank to Wat Pho (The Reclining Buddha) and you can get a cross-river ferry for only a few baht. That is easily half a day already.

Next I would head to Siam Square for a late lunch. Maybe at MBK where you can also do shopping in air-conditioned comfort. If you are still up for more culture then try Jim Thompson's house (which is across the road from MBK) for a examples of traditional Thai houses. You can get on the Sky Train here and a few stops along the line is Mo Chit. Here you can have another dose of Thai culture with the Erawan Shrine. Also a good place to see some Thai dancing for free! Don't get back on the sky train yet as that area has 2-3 big shopping malls.

By this time it is probably early evening and time to eat again! You missed the big Weekend Market but the next best thing is the Suan Lum Night Bazzar. This is not only a good place to shop but also to eat too! You can either go there by taxi, or take the sky train to Asok and change to the Metro. Then continue to Lumphini station. The Night Bazzar is right by the station exit.

Hope that helps.

http://www.bangkokguidebook.com/grandpalace
    http://www.bangkokguidebook.com/temples/wat_pho.php
    http://www.bangkokguidebook.com/muse...m_thompson.php
    http://www.bangkokguidebook.com/tran...n/shopping.php

Thanks
    Thank you sawatdee,
    That is very helpful. You didn't mention khao san road, does that mean you don't think it would be very good?

I like your mix of sights and shopping. My sons will be very interested in computer games and dvd's. Which is the best place for those and do we go past it on your proposed plan?

Is hiring long tailed boats, catching ferries, taxi's and sky trains easy for someone who can only read and speak english?

I'm working though the guides you posted as well.

Thanks
    Brian

Thanks
    We are still working on the guidebook we posted links for. So, other than the pages I linked to the rest is not finished.

For computers, there are a number of shops selling computer software and DVD movies (all pirated) in MBK. I think it is on the 4th floor. It is near the food court anyway. However, if you want to go to computer heaven then you should visit Pantip Plaza. This is 4 floors with nothing but computer shops. They also sell hundreds of computer games and DVDs. You can catch a meter taxi there from the Siam Square area costing about 50-60 baht. When buying DVD's, always ask them if it is "Master". They know this English word. "Master" just means it is a copy of a master and not of a guy in the cinema with a video camera. DVD 9's are usually always better than DVD 5's. You can also find DVD 10's which have two movies and are always good quality.

You shouldn't have any problem with language when taking local transport. The people involved all know "transport" English. However, not so many foreigners go on public buses so that might not be so easy. Hiring a long-tailed boat is no problem. There is a pier a five minute walk from the Grand Palace.

I didn't mention Khao San Road as that is obviously your starting point. It wouldn't hurt to shop there. However, if I was you, I woud check out the prices there first and then go shopping in the other places. If you find KSR cheaper then you can always go back at the end of the day or early the next morning.

Thanks
    OzBrian,

As Sawatdee mentioned, Pantip Plaza is the place to go for computer related shopping and also dvds.
    I bought some fantastic "master" dvds (DVD9) for 100 - 120 baht each and they were excellent quality. The dvd covers state that they are zoned for region 1 (USA), however they are multi zone and will work fine in Australia.

Lots of computer software available also.

If your sons are interested in console games (ie Playstation, X-Box) these are also available, however your console will need to be modified (mod-chipped) for the games to work.

Thanks
    Pantip Plaza it is then. I have a multi-region dvd player so no problem with whatever region they sell. My boys are 11 and 13 and into PS2 in a big way. Their PS2 is chipped so we will probably be injecting quite a few funds into the Bangkok economy
    Thanks paul_vz

Thanks
    sawatdee,
    We have the Grand Palace, Erawan Shrine, Siam Square, MBK/Pantip Plaza and Suan Lum Night Bazzar as definites. After reading about the canals I'm having second thoughts on the long-tailed boat but will see how I go We will try to fit in Jim Thompsons House, etc.
    With 4 of us maybe taxi's will be a better way of getting around. This is getting a bit long so I will start a new post about taxi's.
    Thank you so much for your help so far. After our visit I will post and let you know how we got on.

Thanks
    Your plan sounds good. With kids in tow you probably don't want to add any more temples. You will see a good example within the grounds of the Grand Palace.

If I was you, I would try and find an hour or so for the canal trip on a long-tailed boat. The kids will love it. If you are worried about the polluted canal/smells then this is mainly on the east side of the river. The long-tailed boat tours take you to the other side which is in Thonburi. It will be OK there and well-worth the experience.

Yes, with four of you I would advise taking a meter taxi. Just make sure he turns on the meter and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. If he doesn't want to turn on the meter or tries to take you somewhere else, then just get out!

Thread Information