PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Road/Traffic Authority(Bangkok)
    Thanks

Road/Traffic Authority(Bangkok)

During you travel by foot around Bkk.,did you all face this problem.Three lanes traffic,than one lane opp.way.I near got knock down by motor-cycle two yrs.ago.And motor-cycle even break traffic rule by driving against the flow of traffic.And zedra crossing with driver not stopping for you.So when crossing BKK.road,it like running across firing range.
    Last edited by moppet61; 23-10-05 at 05:20 PM.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks
    Yes moppet61, this and the traffic lights on Samui got me too! The first time I first saw trucks and bikes heading towards on both sides of the lane I was one made me wonder if I was in the wrong. Also having people at traffic lights beep at me because I stopped at a red light also made me think! It all ends up a mad jumble of cars and bikes doing their best to not hit each other and may be one of the reasons why there are so many accidents. I saw 2 nasty crashes on Samui invloving bikes because car drivers thought they had time to get across the road.

Thanks
    And zedra crossing with driver not stopping for you.So when crossing BKK.road,it like running across firing range
    When I cross the road in bangkok, I always try to use the safest method available but I never trust the driver. If I use a zebra crossing, the car might just slow down a little bit or steer around me but they do not stop.

Can someone please tell me the law or normal code of practice used in Thailand regarding the safe crossing of roads?
    ความพยายามอยู่ที่ไหน ความสำเร็จอยู่ที่นั่น

Thanks
    The zebra crossings are one of the features of Thai life that are actually worse than useless (like a Thai guy giving directions to someplace he has no clue about). Many farang tourists see the zebra crossings and think that they mean something here; so they are lured into trying to cross a road thinking they are safer than where there is no zebra crossing. Wrong, possibly dead wrong! My theory is that the zebras were painted on Thai roads in either blind copying of the civilized farangland ways, or were done by a well-connected company to extract some government budget from the pockets of the long-suffering taxpayers, or both....

Thanks
    What I think,road in Thailand are just following world class standard.For Thais ,drive as you wish (no offend).As long no accident,no one caught me,that for the day.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks
    On many rural roads or even in Bangkok's small alleys, you will find motorcycles, cars and occasionally your 12 wheel trucks maneuvering against (one way) traffic. This situation is complicated by the fact that many of Bangkok's roads change their one-way direction at certain hours of the day and by the fact that every new governor of Bangkok has a new traffic plan to solve the city's traffic jams. Every such plan involves changing the flow of traffic, which causes one way roads to suddenly run in the opposite directions or the number of lanes being reduced from, in extreme cases, eight to one. Regular roads may become bus lanes overnight, which then causes thousands of drivers to exit from the incorrect ramps on the expressway, thus clogging up traffic worse than before. Usually this last for a few months, after which the goverment changes or they governor realizes that the problems can not be solved and then things go back to normal. Several computer traffic control systems have been tested of even installed, but none of them seem to resolve the situation. It has been wishperd that the local traffic constables are very incooperative when it comes to these systems that could make their employ obsolete. Some companies may even mention the word "sabotage", when asked about the failure of their traffic control system.
    This a a small excerpt taken off a website regarding Thailand's traffic laws and such. Here is the link:http://driving.information.in.th/

Thread Information