Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Nested Quoting in Replies

When one replies, quoted text in the message replied to is missing. This can make it difficult to follow the thread. One can restore the nested quotes manually, but it is inconvenient.

Thanks
    I tend to ignore the 'Post Reply' button now because it looks like a new thread complete with an empty title. Is that what you mean or just the fact that nothing is quoted regarless?
    if you can't find the needle, burn the haystack

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harikeo
    I tend to ignore the 'Post Reply' button now because it looks like a new thread complete with an empty title. Is that what you mean or just the fact that nothing is quoted regarless?
    No I think he means that if he the above comment from you had quotes in it, those would not be shown in this reply window.

Jitwadee Guest
    When one replies, quoted text in the message replied to is missing. This can make it difficult to follow the thread. One can restore the nested quotes manually, but it is inconvenient.
    I see your point, Richard. It may be a bit more inconvenient to manually cut&paste the original quote, and then wrap the tags around it. In the previous version of our boards, it was easy to make nested quotes - perhaps so easy, that people overdid it at times. A lengthy discussion between two posters resulted in monstrous posts with only a single line of new content added on the bottom of each multi-paragraph post.

Such abuse is wasting space, time and money. With these new boards, there is another way to refer back to previous posts - even ones that contain quotes.

1. right-click on the number in the upper right corner of the post you wish to refer to. (This number depends on the order in which that particular post appeared in the topic. Ie. the first post is #1, second is #2 etc.)
    2. click on Properties; copy the URL;
    3. click on the 'insert link' button on top of the reply window, paste the URL.

That's it! Now you can give the link a descriptive name. When people click on it, they will see the post you are referring to, with the original quotes intact. This option has many advantages:
    • It's up to the readers whether they want to see the post you are referring to. This is useful for people who follow the topic closely, and don't need to scroll paragraphs down in a post to find new content in a reply. This saves time, bandwith, and money.
    • It works even cross-topics! The 'Quote' option is limited to the topic where the quoted post originates from.
    • It's dynamic. If the original post is edited, your reference is updated with it as well.
    • It doesn't take any longer than multi-quoting, once you know what you are doing.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have more questions.

Jitwadee Guest
    Here is how it works in practice:

iGotNoTime, you hit the nail on the head when you answered Harikeo's question.

Note that the quotes in the original post are retained. Also, users familiar with the question don't have to read it again, while new readers can do so. This is not apparently useful here, but it can be a timesaver during those long debates.

Thanks
    Still confusing me,the very concept of nested quotes. I remember how they used to make it much more difficult to read the forum. I am somewhat happy that we do not have them here yet.

The old forums, we would read a full page of replies, and then some noob at the bottom quotes someone, and someone then quotes that and before the end of the second page there is nothing but quotes and no content! Not to mention you have re-read every post on that thread 8 times now for no reason.

Richard, perhaps instead of us being forced back into this loop you could try something else? For example if you have the words in a quote you want to highlight simply select them with your mouse and click the Bold option?

Jitwadee also mentioned one of the key features of this new software, and that is the way the posts are numbered and referenced in the system. His tip will work perfectly.

Jitwadee Guest
    I think this topic is a good opportunity to test a few related bb codes...

These are additional codes for quoting threads and posts:

Code:
    creates a link to the respective thread: http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7794

Code:
    Welcome thread
    does the same, but with a title: Welcome thread

Code:
    creates a link to a post with this ID number; http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49306

Code:
    link to a random post
    does the same, but with a title: link to a random post

Thanks
    You wanted these integrated to the reply box?

Jitwadee Guest
    I'm not sure how useful these would be to the average user, because one needs to know the post ID and thread ID for these to work. I was just curious whether these codes work here.

But if people think that it'd be useful to them, sure. Maybe we should ask the members, what they think.

Thanks
    I think I usually just paste the URL, but I never really point out a specific post though. Speaking and going off topic Jitwadee, you may find this thread amusing.

Thread Information