PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Study in Khon Kaen fall 2006
    Thanks

panic Study in Khon Kaen fall 2006

Hello all,

First I just wanted to say that I am EXCEDINGLY excited to find this forum. Currently I am planning to apply to study next fall 2006 in Thailand. The program is through CIEE and takes place in Khon Kaen. I, quite honestly, am equally excited and terrified. I am from Louisville which is the largest city in Kentucky, but incredible small when compared to most major cities in the United States. I have been to Mexico and Canada, but I have never left North America. The program seems to be perfect for me. It involves many experiences within the communities within various grassroots organizations. They also teach you what they call “survival Thai.” I have been reading everything that I come across on Thailand, Khon Kaen, and this program. However, I would love to hear about the area from an actual human being who has/does live there. Have any of you heard anything about this program?
    http://www.ciee.org/program_search/p...?program_id=53
    Could you recommend any website or books on the area? I truly appreciate your time and consideration.

Thank You,
    Tabitha

Thanks
    Welcome!

I'm not sure whether we have any regulars located in Khon Kaen but we certainly do have a few living in the north-eastern region.

Khon Kaen is situated in the poorest region of Thailand, the north-east (Isarn), however Khon Kaen is one of the most affluent provinces in that region. The main provincial town has developed rapidly over the past decade and the place has a lotta cash floating around.

Khon Kaen is also home to one of Thailand's leading state universities and the 'most prestigious' in the north-east. Khon Kaen is the number one place in the north-east for student-life.

You won't be in the middle of sticks! not in Khon Kaen. If you want to see and experience real grassroots-thailand then you would have to be located in a less affluent neighbouring province.

A good location for your first trip to Thailand.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have been a bit worried about the trip. All of the press about the Avian Flu is not helping me to feel any better. I know to be critical about the media. I know that I shouldn't really be worried, but I suppose that I am just fearful in general as I have never left the North American continent before. If not the flu, I would probably just find something else to be fearful of. I suppose that it is normal when leaving your comfort zone and traveling alone.

I think that this program includes travel and homestays to neighboring areas, but I am not sure. Today I wrote some past participants and I hope to hear from them soon.

Thank you again for responding to my post.

Thanks
    Hi witheringintuition!

There is no question that you have picked an excellent program. I've been to Khon Kaen and have visited the university, and it's a great place. Also, your housing will be "off-campus rental units with Thai roommates". That sounds ideal. Khon Kaen is roughly similar to Louisville in size.

You have almost one whole year before the program starts, and you sound like an ambitious person. I would recommend that you read some books on Thai history (check your local libraries). Plus, if you have the time, learn some Thai language before you go. It doesn't have to be much. Whatever Thai you learn will multiply your positive experiences immensely. Go to http://learningthai.com to get started.

Oh, about the bird flu, or as you so formally put it, the Avian Flu. Don't worry about it. As a foreign student, you are not at risk. I hope you remain both excited and terrified until you reach Khon Kaen, and I fully expect that you will have the time of your life thereafter.

Thanks
    Thank you for your response and the information that you provided. I will look into that site for more information. I just made contact with a past participant who is currently serving as an intern this year so I am looking forward to learning more about Thailand and the language. Thank You again!

Thanks

hello ka !!!

I think you can check out some of these websites.
    http://www.kku.ac.th/eng/
    www.khonkaen.go.th/
    www.khonkaenlink.com/
    www.kkh.go.th
    hope it helps....
    i've never been to Khon Kaen but I have some friends from there. maybe I can talk and find out more info for ya.... think ima see 'em soon..will keep u posted..

Thanks
    Khon Kaen is a nice city. I go there periodically. My fiance lives a stone's throw away from KK University. It is a large campus and there are many places around there to live.

There is another forum specifically discussing Khon Kaen and environs:

Gateway to Isaan

I am sure they can answer any specific questions you may have.

Thread Information