PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What happened to Rep Power?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

What happened to Rep Power?

I just noticed that the rep power is missing from all the posts.
    Not just mine, but everybody

I hope we dont have to start again

Thanks
    It is there, just invisible. You can still see your rep from your control panel.

Don't worry nothing is resetting, we are just having a few minor issues and before a disagreement arises we took it out of the public eye. It still functions the same you can give rep points, and you can still see your own. We will find a solution to the pending issue within 48 hours, it sort of just needs to be handled like this until a decision is made at the next staff meeting tomorrow. Not really a matter to leave to one or two individuals.

No worries though .

Thanks
    thanks for quick reply .... I wasnt worried just noticed it tonight and thought I'd mention it (need smiley with stick out tongue here )

Thanks
    Lower-case p and you get :p

Edited, my mistake. Will make sure they are fixed I use them too much too
    Edited twice, now it works. Can someone find a better image than this?

Thanks
    How about abort those rep.power?Making everyone greedy for power.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks
    Again another thought to consider. But if we base the entire forum merely on the number of posts for certain privlages rather than the quality of what each user contributes, we will have to raise the level of posts up much higher than what they currently are before a user is promoted automatically.

With the way it works now people who have reputation points, will gain access to special rights and access before the person who does nothing but spamming. This was supposed to be the major purpose of the reputation system. Then each user would not need to be scruntinized by moderators before gaining these things. It would be a group regulated system. If the members prefer to go back to old way, with moderators deciding what usergroup status a person had earned by their posts, then it probably could be done.

We were simply trying to put the power into the group's hands.

Thanks
    l went through stages .. at first i didnt understand it .... then i thought i understood it but didnt like it ....then my points went higher and it seemed cool.... then i gave positive feedback to someone and their points suddenly jumped from low to very very high, so I went back to not understanding it. Then I see people can get high rep power even if they only been members for 3 months.... But then the points all disappeared ... and guess what .. I really feel that i lost something

Maybe its better without them ... I dont know ... but I feel that I have been stripped of my medals without them

Do I want medals for posting here? nope .. does it feel good to have high rep power? yep ...

As always I feel this forum will make the correct decision, it feels to be truly a democratic process when these important decisions are being made and we all have the opportunity to make our feelings known.

So what is my final decision on this matter? I think the old system was better ... I trust the mods to make the decision when members have made constructive posts (although I did love the points I gathered under the new system)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iGotNoTime
    Again another thought to consider. But if we base the entire forum merely on the number of posts for certain privlages rather than the quality of what each user contributes, we will have to raise the level of posts up much higher than what they currently are before a user is promoted automatically.

With the way it works now people who have reputation points, will gain access to special rights and access before the person who does nothing but spamming. This was supposed to be the major purpose of the reputation system. Then each user would not need to be scruntinized by moderators before gaining these things. It would be a group regulated system. If the members prefer to go back to old way, with moderators deciding what usergroup status a person had earned by their posts, then it probably could be done.

We were simply trying to put the power into the group's hands.
    iGoNoTime,how about a vote to every members to see yes or no to rep.power to stay or not.Me vote NO.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thanks
    I would vote No also...

Imagine you're coming here for the first time: you can't do this, that and the other that more established members can, and many of the other members have a whole load of 'medals', titles like 'reputation beyond repute' by their name and/or are members of Paknam online staff. I think we need to be careful it doesn't seem like the cliquey atmosphere of a club for established members only, rather than somewhere that's welcoming to newcomers. In my opinion the reputation power adds to the cliqueyness (if that's a word ) factor.

As for stopping spamming, how about just having a small number of required posts (say, 10) and a requirement for having been a member for a couple of weeks ? I can't imagine people who just want to spam the forum to get access to the downloads hanging around for long. The problem on the old forums was someone could just signup and make a couple of posts straightaway to get the downloads. I think a minimum time requirement would stop this pretty effectively, while not shutting off newer members for too long.

Thanks
    I think a minimum time requirement would stop this pretty effectively, while not shutting off newer members for too long.
    Mike, I agree. I dont believe that the "medals" do anything but inflate the "awardees" ego. Many other forums (especially Thai related for some reason) are very much cliquey and I have stopped posting on a few well known ones because of this.

So my vote is No as well

Thread Information