PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What is "mun jai"
    Thanks

happy

One of the "jai" words that I hear often is "mun jai". And just now on the radio I heard "gloom jai". I am not sure how to spell them in Thai. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Hi Jackie, I think they might be...

- confident
    - sad, depressed

Thanks
    Thanks Mike you are right. I am not sure if you have seen a book called "Heart Talk" by Christopher G. Moore. It is a hardback book with hundreds and hundreds of different "jai" words.

I'll type an example for you now for the "man jai" entry:

Confident Heart -

The phrase conveys a certainty of feeling you have about another person. In the context of a personal relationship, this heart phrase ranks as a high compliment. When another person feels "man jai" about you, that means feelings of distrust, suspicion, or doubt have disappeared. A feeling of great intimacy is required before this state of the heart is achieved. This heart phrase is frequently heard on Thai TV and in radio ads. The assumption is that product sales will increase through ads promising consumers that they will have a confident heart if they wear, display, eat, or drink an advertised product.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks
    Thanks Nattawud, that's a helpful explanation. I think the translation I gave of as 'confident' is perhaps a little misleading, as confident has basically has two similar but different meanings in English -
    (self) assured - like 'a confident and outgoing person.'
    to be fairly certain of something - like 'I'm confident Liverpool are going to win the league this year.'
    I think would only be an appropriate translation of 'confident' in the first sense. How would you translate it in the second, like ... or ... , something like that?

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch Mike and Nattawud. I had a feeling it was something like that.

Nattawud, where did you buy Heart Talk? Sounds like an interesting book. Can you buy it in Thailand?

Thanks
    Mike, I guess it would be

Jackie, I have seen it sometimes in Asia Books. It is hardback and quite expensive. We bought one for the school the other week. It is actually very good with I think 500 examples of "jai" words. I think you will find it interesting. We are going to do some extracts starting next week. We will probably also sell it in the school bookshop. But, posting it abroad will be quite expensive as it is heavy.

As you live in Thailand you might be interested to know that we are planning to start selling books for people in Thailand at normal shop prices and FREE delivery by EMS. A lot of people have started to ask for this. To get the free delivery you have to pay by bank transfer or postal order. If you pay by credit card we have to pay 9% which is a lot of money. More news soon.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks

happy

"Heart Talk" by Christopher G. Moore.

- gloom jai - Worried Heart

In this emotional state, a person's feeling of worry may arise from a rapidly approaching deadline and they know there is insufficient time to successfully complete the task. Given the traffic jams in Bangkok, businessmen who sit in their cars, knowing they will be late for a multimillion closing which will fall through if they are not present, will feel gloom jai. A mother may feel that her daughter is doing something wrong in her life - perhaps associating with friends who smoke or drink - and that the mother is powerless to stop her daughter from making a mistake. The mother may feel gloom jai. If a daughter would marry someone her mother disapproved of she would feel gloom jai. The tone conveyed is serious concern and represents the emotional state of anxiety or major worry.

Thanks

question

Sawasdeeka all!

I am new in this forum, though I've been visitng this sight before.... and it is just great!

I would like to know about the "jai phrases", how do I use them in a sentece?

a* chan mii man jai
    b* chan pen man jai
    c* chan man jai
    d* all of the above?
    e*none of the above?

Thanks in advance!
    it\'s my party and I\'ll cry if I want to.

Thanks
    Hi Talu, it's usually c, like chan man jai, chan dee jai, chan glum jai etc...

Thread Information