PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
advice please
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: advice please

Thanks

question advice please

my wife (Thai) and myself (UK) will be having our first baby in July 2006, I have heard that it is better for the baby to have 2 passports, 1 Thai 1 UK, but I am not sure why is there anyone who knows about this and other matters that will arise, I would lioke to give our child the best options for the future, also is it better to keep the mothers Thai name in order not to have problems with Thai property laws?
    I would be grateful for any advice

Thanks
    Dual citizenship has many advantages, and it would be good if your child had both Thai and UK passports. It will save having to deal with visa issues, etc. when you travel between the two countries.

My wife kept her maiden name and we were married in the States (never registered with Thai government). We are buying land and want to put it in her name. Although it can be done, even if she is married to farang, we are hoping the process will be easier. I don't know if it will be though.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    I had a child born in mexico so I can say what happens there but am not sure about the UK rules on getting a UK passport, I had to file at the American Embassy with the childs birth cert. and my marriage license to get a citizen born abroad birth cert and a passport, was not a real big deal, but you know the govt and paperwork.Then the child can be a dual national until adulthood, then I am told they must make the choice.

I am married in Thailand and it is registered at the amphur and my wife has all her stuff in my last name, there is no difference in property ownership or anything else, she still has a Thai ID card and it has my last name on it is all.
    I have my own house book and what ever I can get, 5 yr drivers license and it seems to be easier for visas as there is no doubt that we are infact legally married. it now takes me 1/2 hour for a NON O visa.

Thanks
    I believe that the choice thing at adulthood went away a few years ago, when the US liberalized their attitude on dual nationality. I know a number of dual NZ/US citizens.
    ไมค์

Thanks
    First, I would like to say congratulations, If you can get a dual I would say go for it. Just curious though, If your child takes on more English features, what effect will that have on the process? I am just asking because of reading some subjects in other threads in the forums.

Thanks
    I really don't know about what the Thai law is, But my wife said that being born to a Thai parent in Thailand that the child would be a Thai and could be a dual national until 18 and then would have to make a choice as far as Thai law is concerned. But like has been said, if possible I sure would go for 2 passports as long as you can.

Thanks
    Thanks to you all for your advice you have given me a lot to think about, regarding the effect of child taking on more english features, I do'nt know.
    It has always been my understanding that a farang can only lease house or land for 30 years, under thai property laws and at the end of that period has to renew the lease.
    I think I will certainly go for the 2 birth certificates and passports though.
    thanks again.

Thanks
    As to what the child looks like will have no bearing on the aspects of nationality, it will be a Thai if born in thailand to a thai mother, but here is something I picked up and it has held true for me.my situation was exactly the same but USA/mexico instead of UK/THAI................

Currently I live in UK but I lived and worked 17 years abroad.

I'm trying to find out some information for my brother. He lives and works in the middle east and is married to a swedish girl. He has 3 children. 1 born in Thailand and the other 2 in Jordan. He recently tried to register their births at the embassy but was told since he had failed to do it at the time of their birth he could no longer get an British Birth Certificate for them. What he's worried about is what happens when they grow up. We both already have a few friends who though being English and even having an English passport, were born abroad and married foreigners. They are finding it very difficult to claim citizenship for their kids and are having to resort to going back to UK to have their babies. My brother was born in UK, so if he can't get his kids a british birth certificate - how else can he make sure they become british citizens and pass it on the their children?

Your facts are correct, you have so many days to register a birth to get a British Passport. There may be ways around it but I am sorry I do not know what they might be.

Thanks
    and if the child has a Thai ID card, property ownership will be no different if its last name is Mc guillecutty or Tuktuktwoshoes..

Thanks
    ok so 2 passports are better than 1 but which passport is shown when leaving thailand, is the same passport then shown when entering the uk or the other one, visas are a nightmare

Thread Information