PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Christmas in Bangkok
    Thanks

Christmas in Bangkok

Hi all,
    I am new here. I will be in Bkk from 22nd dec to 26dec. can i check if the shops and markets will be opened on 24th n 25th dec?

got a few questions in my mind, hope everyone can help me:
    - I wish to go to sampeng market. May i know wat is the operating hours and anyone can tell me the thai writing for the market so i can show the taxi driver?

- Can a taxi sit 5 adults?

- How to i get to chatuchak market from pathumwan princess hotel by bts?

thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    98% of Thai people are Buddhists and will only "celebrate" Christmas because they like having fun. They don't celebrate the birth of Christ.

You shouldn't have a problem saying Sampeng to a taxi driver as it is a very popular area. I don't know the exact opening hours but I am sure it is open long hours - the Chinese people are hard workers.

I have seen ten adults in a tuk tuk which is smaller. But, there was about five layers of them so you might find that too uncomfortable. Usually, taxis are for four people. Some are not that spacious. But, you do see sometimes bigger taxis.

It is easy to go to Chatuchak by BTS. Just go to the end of the line at Mochit.

Thanks
    Sampeng market in Thai script is ตลาดสำเพ็ง

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    98% of Thai people are Buddhists and will only "celebrate" Christmas because they like having fun. They don't celebrate the birth of Christ.

You shouldn't have a problem saying Sampeng to a taxi driver as it is a very popular area. I don't know the exact opening hours but I am sure it is open long hours - the Chinese people are hard workers.

I have seen ten adults in a tuk tuk which is smaller. But, there was about five layers of them so you might find that too uncomfortable. Usually, taxis are for four people. Some are not that spacious. But, you do see sometimes bigger taxis.

It is easy to go to Chatuchak by BTS. Just go to the end of the line at Mochit.
    Hi richard,
    thanks! so the deparmental stores and shops will remain open even on christmas day? i was hoping to visit chatuchak on xmas day.

Thanks Mike!

Thanks
    Yes the shops will all remain open then, Christmas day isn't a holiday in Thailand!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    To add to what Mike said, the big shopping centers are open EVERY holiday. Even the Songkran New Year and the most religious of holidays. It is not like in the West. You will only find the smaller, family run shops closed during some holidays. For example, during Chinese New Year a number of small shops are closed. The Chatuchak Weekend Market doesn't have the same rules as the shopping malls as it is up to individual shop owners if and when they close for a break. So, sometimes you might see some shops/stalls closed there but not all.

Thanks
    thanks for the information! looking forward to the trip soon!

Thread Information