PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Tailors - How to choose?
    Thanks

Tailors - How to choose?

When I was in Grung Thep last time, I was tempted to get some made-to-measure suits and some shirts but there are soooo many shops there, that I gave up for fear of getting ripped off or being disappointed.

When I go back this spring, I would like to try one. Some of the prices seem too good to be true.

It's easy to pay to much, but I don't want to pay too little either. How do I know if the shop is both honest and skilled? Can you bargain easily?

Can anyone offer some advice or guidelines?

Thanks,

แบรี่
    The goal in life is to die young -- as late as possible.

Thanks

thumbs up pointers

First of all, I'd forget about all those ridiculous offers you see in the Thai Air inflight magazine and all of the other falang-targeted publications. I mean come on, 2 suits, 2 shirts, 1 summer suit, 2 silk ties, 1 silk kimono (!??!), and 2 belts all for just USD199!!!!!
    The basic rule is- and this goes for everything, not just suits- is that if looks too good to be true, it is.
    The ties are low quality silk leftovers (you don't get a choice), "leather" belts?, sure. Places have been known to switch materials after showing you the good stuff in the store.

Basically, my rule of thumb is, if they have to drag people into the store from the street, there has to be a reason for that.
    Beware of places that ask you when you are leaving then tell you they will have it ready the afternoon of your departure. If you are not happy with it when they bring it around 2 hours before your departure, there isn't much you can do about it. Instead, ask them by when they can have it ready and work from there. The more time you have, the better.

I frequent a place on Phetchaburi road that will come and pick you up and drop you back to anywhere you like after your fittings. I'd be happy to mention who they are here but I'm not sure if there are any rules here forbidding business recommendations. Perhaps a moderator can let us know if it is allowed. Otherwise a pm might be in order.

I had two suits and 4 shirts made the first time I went there and it cost me 17000 baht. The first time they sent a car to pick me up, and when they were done they brought them around to my hotel for fitting and checking.
    I've been back several times and have been totally satisified. None of the clothes I have had made have that "cheap asian-made suit" look, if you know what I mean.

I hope this helps.
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts
    I would certainly would like to have the name of the tailor in order to pass it on to others who would be interested, as personal recommendation/experience beats the most expensive advertising everytime.

Thanks
    Well, since no moderator has indicated that it is against the rules, I guess I can post the name and address of the abovementioned tailor.
    Chinese Tailor Co., LTD
    138/1 Phetchaburi road,
    Rachtevee, Bangkok 10400
    Tel: 02-2194555.

Ask for Willy, a nice Swedish (or is it Swiss?) gentleman who will help you out.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts
    Thanks for that, Jerome -It will be passed on to interested parties.

Thanks
    You are welcome. I would say to tell them that I sent you, but really, what does that mean when someone says that?
    "Jerome sent me."
    "Oh Jerome? okaaaaay, we'll get out the real nice suits for you then."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome
    "Oh Jerome? okaaaaay, we'll get out the real nice suits for you then."

Thanks Jerome, I'll look them up when I get there.
    The goal in life is to die young -- as late as possible.

Thanks
    I'll take your word on it too..Oh, any chance, you know of any seamstress who make gowns/dresses made of thai silk too? thanks a bunch

Thanks
    When you order your suits "do not" pay in full on order or big deposit, negociate deposit minimum. If the suit is cut incorrect then they will correct it right away if you paid in full you haveto wait and wait and wait.

Thread Information