PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
khanom thian
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: khanom thian

Thanks

question khanom thian

Anyone have a recipe for khanom thian? I keep searching, but am unable to locate one on the forum nor the web.

khawp koon ka!

Thanks
    try this web site:

http://www.gd-1.com/menu6.htm
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks
    I don't know that dish, (or at least by that name). Can you tell us about it?
    The goal in life is to die young -- as late as possible.

Thanks
    Kanomthian is dessert or snack made from rice and sticky rice flour kneaded and flat it like small pizza then wrap it around half shell green pea mixed with sugar and use banana leaf wraps it and steam till it is cooked.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Did you try googling the topic?

http://www.enjoythaifood.com/khanomthian.php

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Did you try googling the topic?

Thank you Richard.

I didn't google it, but not out of laziness.

I thought a bit if a description from a fan of the dish might be interesting for the forum.

Cheers!
    The goal in life is to die young -- as late as possible.

Thanks
    Yummy!!!
    Reading Richard's blogs is tops. I noticed this one blog about kanom
    thian had numerous replies and comments
    Last edited by rcalaimo; 09-12-05 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Kanom thians are plentifull durring Chinese New Year and on the Moon warship day (Chinese tradition) it is one of the desserts that they use for warship the God after that they will share them to relatives friends and strangers. Almost every Chinese families will make Kanom thians.

There are two kind inside sweets, one is half shell green pea and sugar the other is coconut meat blended with syrup/sugar.

Thanks
    Richard's blog:

Quote:

The common ingredients between these two are white sticky-rice flour, black sticky-rice flour, palm sugar and fragrant water.
    The salted one then has: mung bean, chopped red onion, crushed pepper, sugar, salt and oil. The sweet one has: shredded coconut, and palm sugar. As you can see from the faded colour of the banana leaves in the picture, the final product is cooked in a steamer for about 15 minutes and served when cold.

-- end --

Yes, I found this but I'm unsure about how much of each ingredient I should mix together. Just kind of toss everything together according to preference?

I'm pretty sure I can get white sticky-rice flour (maybe make it myself) but not sure about black sticky-rice flour.

thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chino1
    Kanom thians are plentifull durring Chinese New Year and on the Moon warship day (Chinese traditioin) it is one of the desserts that they use for warship the God after that they will share them to relatives friends and strangers. Almost every Chinese families will make Kanom thians.

There are two kind inside sweets, one is half shell green pea and sugar the other is coconut meat blended with syrup/sugar.

Kanom thian is the Thai word, correct? In Mandarin, what is it called? Is it the sweet dessert for the kitchen god? Do you think people from Taiwan eat this too (since it is of Chinese origin)?

"Half shell green pea" -- I'm unsure about this. It is green peas that are split? I'm unfamiliar with this ingredient.

khawp koon ka

Thread Information