PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Khaosarn Road - A new scam?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Khaosarn Road - A new scam?

Hello Everyone.

I am new to these forums, I have been in Bangkok for nearly six months now and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to me. I was walking down Khaosarn Road and I went into a Seven-Eleven but before I got chance I was accosted by an Indian man who said that I 'had a lucky face'.

He then gave me a card which looked dubious but said that he would read my future for free. We went to a nearby alley and he started talking and I have to admit that what he did was impressive (his name was Yogi) and he then said I have to pay him and he gave me three values (poor, middle and rich) and I had to pick one (they were in US dollars) and I knew I should have walked away.

He told me some more stuff and suffice to say I lost 8000 Baht to this person and he then gave me a 'gift' of a necklace and asked for a gift in return such as a mobile phone and at this point I realised this was wrong. I was not happy to have lost the money (he forced me to the ATM) and I would have gone to the police but I am sure they would have not done anything.

Anyone else got any similar stories or advice? I got burned and will not do that again and I no longer trust going to Khaosarn Road anymore.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Geez, thats pish bad!

Those Indians scammers along Khao Sarn are also an old story, means those scum are back alongside the Black Jack Scam boys & girls.

Must admit i lost a few hundred to one of the scammers when i first arrived who could tell me my mother's name etc...

I'll be along the Khao Sarn Road this New Year, if you find out where the scammer is then you could tell me. May be not get your money back but he'll be in quite serious trouble if Chanasongkram Police take the matter seriously.

Thanks for posting that, a good warning to everyone.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Interesting story. I have been approached by those indians sometimes.
    Can you explain how they got the money from you if they said it was free initially?

Thanks
    Hello.

Right, what happened was they gave me three options of payment (poor, normal and rich) which were in US dollars (as I explained) and they said that they would tell me lots of information and that if any was wrong then I did not pay.

Suffice to say I lost 8000 Baht to this scam. I want to try and get my money back but I doubt I can. If you get approached by one of the Indians and his name is Yogi then he is the one who scammed me.

Is there any chance of me getting any compensation back at all in any way?

Thanks
    are you really so very naive, or.....? I can't believe this. where are you from?!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts
    Betti -I think the key word here is "they" - such con men always operate in 2's or 3's and use a lot of very clever psychology -they stand very close to you, surrounding you if possible or at least making escape difficult, this in itself is subtly menacing -if you move -they move, and, taking turns they batter you with relentless questions and do not give you too much thinking time to break you down, afterwards you can not even remember the questions -it is similar to techniques used in interrogation. The victim quickly becomes disorientated and confused, then agrees to anything for the whole process to stop.
    Naivety only comes into it on agreeing to the initial "free" offer, after that there is little hope as one is outnumbered 2 (or3) to 1.
    I have not been a victim, but I know how these things work.

Ianwuk -you have no chance of getting your money back at all. (Sorry). The authorities are not likely to compensate you at all and the con men, even if caught, will have alibis to show they were elsewhere at the time.

Thanks

These scammers are friggin good!

Hey Betti:

I lost a bitta cash to one of these guys almost 10 years ago. Geez, they are good! I had the scammer tell me my mother's name straight up.

If you travel in India you'll always come across fortune telling yogis hanging around touristy areas. I had one so-called yogi bark out some pretty hot stuff about me there before, like he was hypnotizing me in the middle of New Delhi. I had hardly said a word to the guy and he was telling me my favourite number/fruit etc..

I dont know how they do it but they are still scammers!

Then since they are Indians they have good inter-personal skills.

With Ian's advice here, ill soon be doing some scambaiting myself and hunting these yogis down the next time im on Khao Sarn Road!
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts
    Steve, your experiences with the Khao Sarn scammers will make one hell of a blog !

Thanks
    I think it's useful to post up this story as a warning. Maybe the tourist police could do something or maybe just best to write it off to experience. I used to regularly see a Thai man at Sanaam Luang approaching tourists and saying there was some firework show that night there for free and then give some other spiel but I never stayed to hear the rest of it. Never did see that display lol.

Thanks
    I'm back in S'pore for a short holiday... while having a nice snack (famous taiwan botongkou and soya bean drink)with a friend in the infamous Geylang, a Chinese national man approached us and asked if we want our fortune told... i said, "no thanks.", but he insisted and said I have a good fortune face and I'll have a successful career... I replied,"I knew all that already, but thanks anyway." and gave a big smile... and he walked away...

Merry Christmas, guys! Hope its still cold in the night in Bangkok when I go back tomorrow!

Thread Information