PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What is "lae gor"?
    Thanks

question

This is a phrase I hear a lot among my co-workers - usually when they are telling me about something that happened last night or saying what should be done today. They use it sometimes like we might say "er" when we can't think of what to say next. I think it might be "also" but I am not sure. I have never seen it written down so I can't look it up! I have used it a few times myself in meetings in the correct places. It seems to be informal but no-one objects to me using it. My problem is that I didn't do much formal training for Thai and have learned more on the job. So, I sometimes know when to use them but not always why. One of these days I should take some formal lessons!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts
    Hi Jackie

Yep you are using it in the correct places , it means
    "and then"

I think the best way to learn the correct way to use phrases like this is in informal conversation the way you are now. Im not sure formal structured classes would cover phrases like this.

Thanks
    Yeah I'd basically agree, ก็ 'gor' on it's own can be used to mean 'also' or as a kind of delaying word like 'um' or 'er', like

คุณว่าไง - What do you think ?
    ก็....ไม่รู้สิ - Um, I don't really know

และก็ 'lae gor' (or แล้วก็ 'laew gor', which seems just as common) in the middle of a sentence could have a few different meanings

- 'and also' or 'and then', like Guava said
    - 'and, um,.... '
    - or just simply 'and', depending on the context

Thanks
    Thanks both of you - a fountain of knowledge. I never really understood the use of "gor" that much. I think it is one of the those words that don't really have a meaning by itself. I see it quite often when I am trying to read Thai but it always seemed like it doesn't really belong there. So I usually skip the word.

Thread Information