PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Bangkok in 5 Days
    Thanks

Bangkok in 5 days

I'm going back to Thailand in a few weeks and at the moment I am booked in at a hotel in Bangkok for 5 days and I don't know where to go for the remaining time.

Does anyone know of a guide book which is for people to get around? I mean something which has both English and Thai so I can ask for directions to places such as bus or train stations etc?

Also, I am located near a BST station so getting around the city won't be difficult. What places are good to visit in Bangkok during 5 days? I've been to MBK for shopping but I'd like to visit some of the temples but with only 5 days I'd like recommendations.

thanks all
    if you can't find the needle, burn the haystack

Thanks
    Can you tell us what you have already seen in Bangkok? In the meantime, use this highlight list:

http://www.bangkokguidebook.com/highlights/index.php

Thanks
    Thanks for the link Sawatdee. It's given me some good ideas

So far I haven't seen anything of Bangkok. The first and only time I was only for 3 days and had food posioning for 2 of them so this is going to be the first time I would have had chance to look round
    if you can't find the needle, burn the haystack

Thanks
    At the BTS stations, you can get a fantastic map. I like the BTS map more than the MRT (subway) map. The map is free and you can see a lot of the tourist attractions highlighted on the map.

I would recommend you also buy one of the passes for the MRT if you are going to be taking it often. It saves you from having to get change all the time and can often be cheaper because they charge you per trip and not for distance. You can find the passes here: http://www.bts.co.th/en/ticket.asp

There is tons of shopping around the MBK area at the Siam exit on the BTS. Be careful of all the scams when you go around the tourist areas, particularly around the temples. http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/Scams/Sapphire.shtml

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Five days is a long time so you might want to consider one or two day trips. You can either arrange these yourself or join tours. For example:

(1) Boat trip to Bang Pa In, Wat Phai Lom and Ayuthaya (ancient capital of Thailand)
    (2) Boat trip to Koh Kret, an ancient Mon community
    (3) A train trip to Nakhon Pathom and Kanchanaburi organized by the State Railway of Thailand
    (4) A trip to the floating market at Damnoen Saduak and stopping for cultural shows at the Rose Garden on the way back
    (5) A bicycle ride around the Ancient City in Samut Prakan
    (6) Dolphin Watching at Bang Pakong

and quite a few more...

Please let us know what your interests are and we will post more information.

Thanks
    Go to one of the book stores and get the Nancy Chandler map of Bangkok. I have found this extremely useful for Bangkok (and Chiang Mai)

http://www.nancychandler.net/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    (2) Boat trip to Koh Kret, an ancient Mon community
    ya, this is nice.... u can rent a bicycle for i think its 30THB for whole afternoon and cycle around the island..... visit the temples and try their special tea in their island made pot... u get to bring the pot back.... check the brakes of the bicycle though.. and remember to drink enough water... hot in the afternoon....

cheers

Thanks
    Hi Richard,
    You mentioned a boat trip to Ayathuya.
    I have tried a few searches on the web for boat trips to there but had no joy.

Are these trips by public transport or private boats ?
    Is it possible to have an open ticket say for 48-72 hours ?
    And lastly would you have any links for this trip.

Thanks
    Frank

Thanks
    most of these boat trips are organised for tour groups, and you can book them just about at any tourist agency in Bangkok. public boats might also exist.
    for the internet search, maybe try the correct spelling? or one of the correct spellings. Ayutthya, Ayutthaya, Ayuthaya, Ayudhya.... they all list numerous results.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Day cruises to Ayutthaya:

Oriental Queen (The Oriental Hotel) 02 236-0400
    River Sun Cruises (The River City Shopping Complex) 02 266-9125
    Horizon Cruise (The Shangri-La Hotel) 02 266 8165

I am pretty sure there isn't a public boat all the way.

Thread Information