Thanks

Moving To Taling Chan & Urgently Need Advice

I've been living in Chiang Mai off and on for nearly 2 years. My Thai girlfriend recently graduated college and got a teaching job in Taling Chan. She's never been to BKK and I've only been there for a few days at a time on my stop-overs from my flight into Thailand. Anyway, I'm not at all familiar with where Taling Chan is and I'm wondering how far it is from the central part of BKK. On the shitty internet maps, it looks quite far, yet my girlfriend insists it's still part of Bangkok. Also, are apartments readily available in Taling Chan? I have an apartment in Chiang Mai that has Air/Con, Cable TV (HBO, Star Movies, Star Sports, BBC, etc.), high-speed internet, etc., so that's kind of what I'd be looking for. Also, how is tranportation in this area? I know it's nowhere near BTS, but are there other decent forms to get me into Siam/Sukumvit area? Anyway, I've been renting a motorbike (125cc) in Chiang Mai, but everyone says it's suicide to drive one in Bangkok (so renting is probably not an option). Anyway, if I could get some advice I'd really appreciate it. We are planning on moving sometime in late March or early April.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Taling Chan is famous for a floating market. I did a boat trip past there years ago so cannot remember much now. I caught the boat from near the Grand Palace. It is quieter than say central Bangkok but you will still be able to find aprtments/condos. I do believe they are planning on extending the BTS that way but it might be a while.

Thanks
    Before i came to live in Suphanburi province i was living just beside Taling Chan (Bang Khun Non) for two years. I liked the area.

Taling Chan is located on the Thonburi side of the Chao Praya River (Western Side of Bangkok). It is nearing the outskirts of Bangkok. The Southern Bus Terminal is located in northern Taling Chan and so the area is home to one of the capital's major roads exiting Bangkok (to Nakhorn Pathom/Pathumthani/Suphanburi/Kanchanburi etc...) and of course, the road link to the south.

Taling Chan is just a short ride away from Pinklao which is a haven for nightlife, karaoke bars and good food. There is also one of Bangkok's best department stores 'Central Pinklao'.

From Taling Chan there are 'songthaews' (local kind of transport) for just a few baht which take you directly to the boat piers at the Chao Praya River. Using the Chao Praya Express Boat you will have a convenient ride to the BTS (Sathorn) for the Silom area. There is also a direct air-con bus from Taling Chan - Sukhumvit Road.

There are plenty of apartment/condos with all the amenities in Taling Chan. No worries about that. Perhaps a good bet would be to rent a house, reasonable prices - about the same what you would pay for a decent room.

Most folk who end up living on the Thonburi side of the river make that side their life and cant be bothered making it over to the 'Phra Nakhorn' (Bangkok) side of the river.

The cost of living in Thonburi is also cheaper than 'Phra Nakhorn'
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thread Information