PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Readers digest in thai stories
    Thanks
    I wonder if anyone can help me with translating the last two passages on http://www.learningthai.com/comprehension_01.htm , there's a few phrases in each of them that I'm not sure on, and unfortunately they're the most important ones in the punchline of the story. I've put what I think is the translation but the words I don't know I've left in Thai, any help translating them or explaining their meaning would be great. Thanks

ชายหนุ่มอ่านหนังสือพิมพ์พบเรื่องของนักแสดงสาวสวยแต ่งงานกับนักกีฬาที่มีชื่อเสียงโด่งดังแต่ไอคิวต่ำเหล ือหลาย เขาจึงหันไปพูดกับภรรยาว่า "ทำไมผู้ชายโง่ๆ ถึงได้เมียสวยนะ" "จะเพราะอะไรก็ช่างเถอะ แต่ขอบคุณนะที่ชม" ภรรยากล่าว

A young man was reading a newspaper story about a beautiful actress getting married to a sportsman, who was very famous but had a เหลือหลาย (very low ?) IQ. The man turned and said to his wife "Why would such a beautiful women get married to such a stupid man ?". "จะเพราะอะไรก็ช่างเถอะ (?? it's up to her ?), but thanks for ชม (appreciating (my situation) ?)" his wife replied.

"แม่คะ หนูตัดสินใจแล้วว่าจะไม่แต่งงานกับจอห์น" "อ้าว ทำไมล่ะลูก" แม่ถามด้วยความประหลาดใจ "หนูเพิ่งรู้ว่าเขาไม่นับถือศาสนาอะไรเลย และไม่เชื่อว่ามีนรกด้วย" "ไม่ต้องห่วงหรอกลูก แต่งงานกับเขาเถอะ เพราะอยู่กินกันไป เขาก็จะรู้เองว่านรกมีจริง"

"Mum I've decided to not get married to John".
    "Oh no, why's that ?", her mother asked in surpise. "I've just realised he doesn't นับถือศาสนาอะไรเลย (have any religious beliefs at all ?), he doesn't even believe in hell."
    "Oh you don't need to worry about that. Just go and ahead and get married with him, because อยู่กินกันไป (after he's lived with you for a long time ?) he will surely find out for himself that hell does indeed exist."

Thanks
    I think you did very well by yourself.

แต่ไอคิวต่ำเหลือหลาย - but has a very low IQ
    เหลือหลาย - here this means "very much"
    จะเพราะอะไรก็ช่างเถอะ - whatever (she is showing she is not interested in subject)
    แต่ขอบคุณนะที่ชม - but thanks for the compliment

She is basically saying that this is old news as she herself is a beautiful woman who is married to a stupid man!

นับถือศาสนาอะไรเลย - doesn't believe in any religions
    อยู่กินกันไป - live together for a while

Are you interested in more like this where there are no translations? We are thinking about typing up some interviews in teen magazines. The language is much easier.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks
    Thanks Nattawud, very helpful. Is เหลือหลาย the same as เหลือเกิน ?

More like this would be great, I think they're very good practice and for increasing vocabulary. Maybe you could put up a Thai version of a story and then the translation a few days later ? It's too tempting to cheat if the translation is up at the same time!

vicblanco1 Guest
    Mike did much better than me! My dictionary didn't have some of the difficult vocab.
    This was a really useful exercise & I totally agree with Mike about the English translation.
    How about a few choice difficult words/ phrases? In the future maybe (graded?) listening exercises too? Top website again. Thanks

Thread Information