PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai sweets for Valentine
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thai sweets for Valentine

Sweets for my sweet
    The Nation

Win your loved one’s heart on Valentine’s Day with a handmade gift and at the same time help preserve a Thai culinary skill that has passed from generation to generation for hundreds for years.
    Giving kanom thai or Thai sweets as special gifts is nothing new. According to associate professor Srisamorn Kongpun, an expert on Thai sweets and how they nourish the body, sending messages of love through kanom thai is a time honoured tradition.

“Thais were very not at good in writing in the past. So we communicated with each other by handing out kanom thai,” she explains.

“We gave kanom chan to express hope that the receiver would get a promotion at work. A woman gave thong ek to a man to say that he was the one she loved. Presenting kanom kong to your lover signified endless love”.

For those worried that Thai sweets and desserts with their high concentration of coconut milk, eggs and sugar will have a detrimental effect on the health, Srisamorn has an answer.

“Our ancestors ate kanom thai with herbal drinks made from pandan leaves or lemongrass without any sugar or syrup. These drinks didn’t just prevent you from developing a slick throat as a result of the sugary sweets, but also reduce the sugar in your blood,” she advises. Tropical fruit, she says, can also help clear away sugary build-up in the throat.

However, Srisamorn cautions against eating copious amounts, but recommends that you taste several sorts. Giving desserts was also popular in the past and a set of nine Thai desserts with significant meanings was used in certain traditional ceremonies such as weddings.

While many of these sweet offerings are difficult to find in modern day Thailand, they do still exist.

Right in the middle of Or Tor Kor market across from the Chatuchak weekend market, a shop called Kao Peenong sells various kinds of Thai desserts, including ones that are hard to find.

The shop is managed by Kornkamon Leelathiraphat. She learned the trade from her father and mother who opened the shop in 1978.

“Most of our customers have been with us for decades. They came here with their parents and now they come here with their children,” says Kornkamon, who also holds the Fan Pan Thae Kanom Thai trophy.

She adds that she is well prepared to cover large orders from those who still prefer to celebrate with meaningful gifts.

“Sales have been good since the beginning of the year as more people are learning the significance of kanom thai. We designed a special New Year package using Thai silk to wrap the box, which made it more valuable and meaningful.”

For Valentine’s day, customers can choose the sweets by name or flavour and have them packed into a heart shaped box.

Several leading hotels and some airlines have already selected Kao Peenong’s products to serve to their customers. For special dinners Kornkamon has created a delicious kanom thai cocktail and for traditional ceremonies, she offers a kanom thai catering service.

“At the moment we supply 80 leading hotels in Bangkok including Le Concorde, Conrad, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Dusit Thani and Sofitel Central. Several airlines like Thai Airways International and KLM also serve look chub and kanom chan on some flights.”

Thai desserts have also gone international and Kornkamon boasts customers in Singapore, China, Taiwan and the US. She recently set up a factory in Prachacheun area with the capacity to produce one-and-a-half to two tonnes of kanom per day.

At the shop you’ll find various kinds of Thai dessert including look chub, sampanni, thong yip, foy thong, thong ek, ta-ko, sweet sticky rice with different toppings, kanom chan and a lot more. The special Valentine’s packages start at Bt40 per box.

For more information, call (02) 278 1426

Juthamas Cholthavornpong

Thanks

Re: Thai sweets for Valentine

Can you tell me if Kanom Kong is available for purchase in the United States (Thai Valentine Sweets) or perhaps available for shipping to the US. I have a special Thai friend that I'd like to give this to this year.

Thank you in advance

Thanks

hand make

that is a good way

um..........

but frist i shold find someone i gonna give it for first

Thanks

You can give it to your parents. I am sure they will appreciate it.

Thanks

hey! richard if i order that can she send it to me

or

does she has a business in USA (in texas) ??

Thread Information