PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
7-11 Cashier confused by farang demands
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

7-11 Cashier confused by farang demands

7-11 OWNER LEFT CONFUSED
    Received 02/19/2006 21:39
    patongtimes.com

The owner of a 7-11 in Patong was left confused and bewildered today after Wolfgang, a German tourist, visited the store. Wolfgang caused a stir when he went to purchase a bottle of beer from the 7-11. When he reached the till he paid for his beer but declined the staffs offer of both a straw and a plastic carrier bag. Despite repeated offers of the straw and bag from the attendant Wolfgang stood his ground. I wanted to drink the beer straight away so I did not need the bag or the straw. Wolfgang told the Patong Times, I mean who drinks beer through a straw anyway? The attendant was unsure how to proceed with the customer so alerted his manager who was equally confused. A call was made to the Police who quickly arrived at the scene. A long period of negotiation ensued before the manager agreed to let Wolfgang leave the premises without either a bag or straw as long as he agreed to buy all his beer at Family Mart in the future.

Thanks
    April 1st already ?

Still even though it's an obvious joke it kinda rings true, as they do routinely give you a plastic bag even if you're just buying a single can of soft drink. Guess there's still a fair way to go to reducing plastic bag pollution in Thailand. Although I'm not sure "Wolfgang" would have had much better luck in Family Mart, in my experience the staff there are just as keen to supply you with ample amounts of straws and/or bags as they are at 7-11.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The funny thing is, we found this story on the "newswire". Follow the link to the original website and you will find other stories like this.

Thanks

Well, Well.

I can see WOLFGANG'S dilemma,,"who drinks beer thru a straw" But I went to a little market here in the village to buy a couple of cans of beer to use in tempura batter, and the lady gave me a plastic bag, which was OK with me as I was on my motorcycle, but I refused the straws and she asked if farang didn't use a straw, I convinced her that no farang did not use a straw to drink beer, but that I didn't intend to drink it anyway and was going to use it in cooking, which just convinced her that Farang are truly weird.

Thanks
    I have a hard time refusing all the plastic bags and straws, it even leaves Tesco cashiers dumbfounded and completely stuck, even if they do see I have a medium-sized backpack to swallow all the things I bought.
    when I asked Thais about pollution and plastic bags, they invariably said that offering a plastic bag and straw (and spoons for icecream and yoghurt!) expresses the generosity of the shop and of the cashier, and that it is actually rude to refuse something that we are offered so kindly. but I still continue snatching all my stuff before it is put in a plastic bag or saying thanks I don't need one. - maybe I am percieved as a rude worthless ungrateful person by all the neighbourhood 7-11 cashiers?
    by the way, the same problem was plaguing Taiwan, when the government issued a new regulation overnight ordering all shops to charge 1 Taiwan dollar (a little more than 1 baht) for each plastic bag. and guess what, all bags disappeared within two weeks, because Taiwanese are affluent and could well afford that money a dozen times a day, but they are also the stingiest people you can imagine, who would rather carry all their stuff in their hands than pay 1 dollar for a plastic bag

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    who drinks beer thru a straw?
    You would if you see how these cans and bottles are handled before they arrive at your local 7-Eleven. In some ways, Thai people are more "civilized" than us and they consider it unhygenic to put your mouth against something so dirty. I was sitting in my car outside a 7-Eleven the other week watching a couple of workmen unloading bottles of water. There was one crate outside the front door to prop it open. A dog came along and decided to give it a good watering. No-one noticed. Five minutes later, the sun had dried the pee and the workmen carried the bottles into the shop. Now, I ALWAYS USE A STRAW!

Thanks
    I get all my drinking water from a refill machine, I hope it is safer....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    You would if you see how these cans and bottles are handled before they arrive at your local 7-Eleven. In some ways, Thai people are more "civilized" than us and they consider it unhygenic to put your mouth against something so dirty. I was sitting in my car outside a 7-Eleven the other week watching a couple of workmen unloading bottles of water. There was one crate outside the front door to prop it open. A dog came along and decided to give it a good watering. No-one noticed. Five minutes later, the sun had dried the pee and the workmen carried the bottles into the shop. Now, I ALWAYS USE A STRAW!
    Lol....spot-on words-a wisdom there from Richard!

Have to admit it, Farangs have quite a few 'dirty habits!' and sticking a can or bottle to ones mouth before cleaning it first or using a straw is definetly one of them.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Normally the owners will not call police unless the case is serious. Language, tone of voice and body languages could cause any misunderstandings. Thais always deny with smile and say in soft voice mai kha/krup, khop khun kha/krup.

The reason they offer a bag: some carried many things and dropped in the store, so messy, the attendant had to clean up the place, more work for them. Bag is also the sign you have paid those things.

Straw:
    1. Hygiene no washing all merchandises in the chiller, imagine rat, cockroach, etc. all over those packages.
    2. Manners its not appropriate to drink directly from the bottle/can in some places.

bag and straw help you to cover up what you are drinking.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel
    bag and straw help you to cover up what you are drinking.
    Well Mel, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Have to admit to being sneaky that way when i was having a can of beer near me old school after work!

Another favourite trick of mine at the shop near me school was to hide the bottle under the table and pour it into one of those metal cups and stick a straw in it. Then to top things off i would place an empty Coke bottle on the table too!

Better than having half the school kids running around the next day shouting out "I saw Mr Steve drinking beer yesterday outside the school!"

Believe it or not - i have actually advised some teachers to do just this if they fancy a beer after work near the school - otherwise it just doesn't look good in Thailand.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thread Information