PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Teaching english in Thailand?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

shocked Teaching english in Thailand?

Hello all,

I have another question. I am not sure this is the right thread to write it in but anyway.

Lets say one want to come to Thailand and teach english. I it enough to have a TEFL certificate or would one need a diploma?
    What is the difference between the two?
    Any help would be great.

thanks a lot,

Mike

Jitwadee Guest
    Lets say one want to come to Thailand and teach english. I it enough to have a TEFL certificate or would one need a diploma?
    Depends whether you are a native English speaker or not. If you are, many schools will accept you on face value - literally. No need to worry about whether you are actually qualified or not.

However, if you are not a native English speaker, you can have all the certificates, overseas teaching experience and degrees, and many schools will still refuse to hire you. Most job descriptions are upfront about this.

There are always exceptions - schools with conscientous management will hire you regardless of the color of your face or the design on your passport coverpage, provided that you can demonstrate some proof of your qualification. This can be TEFL, a Bachelors degree, overseas experience or the combination of these. The better paying ones will have Western hiring standards, requiring you to have all the three.

Good luck!

What is the difference between the two?
    "The diploma" is usually a Bachelor's degree, requiring at least four years of study at an accredited university. For teaching English in Thailand, this degree can be in any field. TEFL certificates demonstrate your ability to teach English as a foreign language (as opposed to just using it). TEFL can be obtained at any accredited institution (plenty in Thailand), usually involving a short course and a hefty fee.

Critics of the TEFL say that it trains teachers using Western teaching principles, not taking the cultural differences into account.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The eduaction ministry is more strict these days and in order to apply for a work permit to teach you MUST have a Bachelors degree. They also say you need to have a TEFL but this doesn't seem to be enforced.

If a school accepts you without a bachelors degree and/or a TEFL then they are probably hiring you without the proper work permit. Many people do it this way but you won't have any legal rights if there is a dispute. You will also have to go on regular visa runs.

Go to ajarn.com and look in the jobs section. This will give you an idea of what the schools are looking for.

Thanks
    I think that someday I will go and get the TEFL, but it is so far for me and I never plan to do it for wages anyway.

I do teach some English in a couple of schools on a part time basis, but only do it in a volunteer capacity and by the principles request so the children can actually hear a native speaker talk and converse in English.

Thanks

talking

When I was in Nakkon Ratchasima (Korat) recently, I volunteered to teach English for a couple days at a local highschool (I can't remember the name, let alone pronounce it).

When I was there I met a Canadian lady who was a teacher in Canada 12 years before. She moved to Thailand to teach (married a Thai man some 10 years ago too) and said it was remarkably easy to get the job.

Another lady I spoke with came to Thailand as a tourist and another teacher at the school asked her if she would like to teach for a week or two and see if she liked the job- its been 3 years and she's been there since. She doesn't have a degree of any sorts.

I admit I've seriously thought about teaching English there... I had so much fun when I was at the school! The 10th grade class I was with was a lot of fun, but the 7th grade class was a blast!!! I couldn't believe how much fun the kids were to talk to and how eager they were to ask questions and get to know me. They offered me some of their lunch, repeatedly, so that I might join them out of the classroom.

The Canadian lady also informed me that her worst Thai students were often better than her best Canadian kids... she's never had to worry about violence or anything of that sort. She did laugh when she told me a boy had brought a dirty magazine to school the day before, but, in her words "boys will be boys".

I think it would be fun to teach for a year or two there... and I'm sure my Thai would improve greatly!

Thanks
    It is possible to do, but sometimes they do want a degree and most times want a TEFL, and you will need them for a work permit, but no Thai law is hard and fast, so you might just get into something good, but with out the paperwork I really don't think you can expect over about 15K max. but like everything else,,ya just never know..
    I have a friend that is teaching now in Pusan and he was teaching at a univ. in Chiang Mai and got an apt. and 26K , but he has a degree, is a marine biologist from canada and got his TEFL.

Thanks
    One thing to remember is that not everyone is suitable for a Teaching job.I often hear people who want to stay in Thailand say they are going to teach English.
    I think to be a Teacher you have to have many qualities which can be lacking in some people.

Thanks
    Hi, this is my first post and a request for information. I'm in BKK at the moment I won't be here long but I'm coming back in May and my length of stay will be pretty open ended. I'd really like to find some English teaching work for an ethical project. Socially, not profit, oriented, preferably working for a local civil society or non-gov organisation. I have a year's experience working at all levels and with all ages in Indonesia and have all the necessary paperwork. I can work completely voluntarily but that will limit the length of my commitment. If there was some offer of living expenses that would be great too and would lengthen the time I can stay. Please help with any info you can offer. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    One of our members has connections with a hilltribe project in Chiang Rai. Does that sound interesting?

Thanks
    You can contact http://learnfromhilltribe.org/ they always need volunteer to help.

Thread Information