PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
advice for moving to thailand
    Thanks

advice for moving to thailand

i have a thai girlfriend and we want to marry have children and settle in thailand preferably koh samui. i am english she is thai. i have no real capital but have a small i.t. business in england. i speak no thai but am learning currently (slowly!). i am 38 and single.
    i do not have a degree.
    what are my options for spending my life in thailand married to this woman?

thanks for any advice i am a newbie to this whole experience - forum/thailand rules/emmigration etc.

Thanks

Not very good,

You have no qualifications to get you into Thailand, You want to live in the most expensive place, you have no money and are young.
    Your best bet is to marry her and take her back home with you where you at least have a chance to make a living.

Or work very hard and save a few million pounds, then after you have the money make a try at it.

Thanks
    ok not very encouraging... (but thanks for the honest reply) ok how about living in khon kaen - this is her home town, her parents have land and have said we can build a home here - plusses and minusses would be greatly received

Thanks
    At your age, you may have visa issues. Perhaps you can get a job teaching English, as the school can help with getting a work visa. Are you a native English speaker with a university degree? I saw a position in Khon Kaen for an English teacher for 25,000 THB per month. That would be great money by Thai standards.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    Youll find out that nearly every Thai daughter has land to build a house on! It is part of the culture to pass on land to their children to build a house on.

What is also part of Thai culture is that if you build a house on such land half her relatives will treat it as their house too!

I know my wife has a handsome piece of land just outside of Nakhorn Sawan town beside the airport. When i mentioned to her about us building a house there she told me the exact same thing of what i have written above!

Exactly, what would you do in Khon Kaen?

If you haven't got a degree of any kind you could probably still find a bit of teaching job in Khon Kaen through English Language Schools who have their headquarters based in Bangkok. A lot of them, DO hire teachers (most dont like to admit it) without a degree, but they would certainly expect you to have acquired a teaching certificate of some kind.

This in fact sounds like your best bet. There are many companies located (mostly in Bangkok) who sell their English teaching certificate courses on the basis of 'we can offer you sure employment upon graduation'. Actually being able to afford the teacher a work-permit' is a different matter though.

If you are interested in living/working in Khon Kaen tou will have to ask your girlfriend "Whereabouts is your home in Khon Kaen?"

Most of the money making opportunities are found in the main provincial town, so it would be quite useless to build a house on some land which is in the middle of the countryside 60km from Khon Kaen Town with the idea of 'working in Khon Kaen'

Settling on Koh Samui? Exactly, what could you do there without the capital to start up your own business? Best bet there would be applying for a job with an international company which sells 'Thai-style time-shares' to foreign tourists. Ads for this kind of work often appear in the English Daily Publications. I wouldnt suggest it though, you would be both working illegally with the chance that your employer would back his bag one night and disappear over-night. Such makeshift companies have screwed unknowing foreigners before, hoping to 'work in Thailand'.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Well it all seems very complicated. Even if you do get a Job in Thailand as an English Teacher by obtaining a certificate, chances are your income will be lower than an English teacher that has a degree. So considering your lower qualification, what you would earn in the UK in 2 months, would possibly be the same as what you would earn in Thailand over 12 months.
    My analysis would tells me, you would be better off working 4 months a year in the UK, save very hard and retire in Thailand for 8 months a year. If you do this, you will have to renew you visa occasionally by crossing the border into a nearby country, one way to renew your visa is to join an organized visa run tour bus in the morning, they will take you across the boarder, get your passport stamped and provide lunch and you will be home again for dinner.

Thanks

You might do that if you go to Cambodia,

But from Khon Kaen most go to Vientaine and that is a 2 day trip,,not far but you ask for the visa one day and pick it up around noon the following day so requires an overnite stay in a hotel.

And like Steve says about the house, might just as well not have any doors on it because people just walk in and out as they wish, starting at 0430 and ongoing all day until midnite,,and a Thai does not know about knocking and nothing is private.

Thanks

Go for it.

Hi. YAY!!! Go for it. Come and live in Thailand. I don't agree with what people are saying. Live in England and take your wife there?!?! Haha. Why would you? Being rich is not that important.

Steve has made some good comments.

Teaching - you can do it without a degree and you'll still earn much more than the average Thai.

You say you have a business in England. Can you keep it going and live off money from it? Can you run it from here? Can you do a similar thing here?

There are lots of options. If you really want to do that and you are determined you can do it.

Thanks

Yes you can do that,

To get a long term visa you have to meet certain standards, some do and some lie about it. But you must have a certain amount of money per month guarenteed income or 800k in a thai bank and without that you will have to do the visa runs.
    Now there is talk of some folks that have been doing that on a regular basis and they have refused to let them back in at the border as those are tourist visas and they are starting to restrict the number of them that you can get.
    And if you think that Thailand immig. is like the USA or GB. and you can come and live a trouble free life, you are wrong, they do not smile on farang that are illegal aliens, they will take you to the deportation holding cells and there you stay til they have you on a plane to whereever your passport is from, if you do not have the money for the ticket, your embassy will have to get you one and you stay in the cell [I hear they are not really nice] til you get on the plane.
    But like was said, if you have income from your business that can be certified stable, then do it that way, or come up with 800k and you have no troubles.

I also have a friend that has a degree, more than one I think, and he taught english at CM univ. he made 26k a month and I think an apt was furnished,,he left and went to Pusan Univ at more than twice the money he made in Thailand and is still there as far as I know.

Thanks
    I almost hate to say this, and i am sure there will be some flaming that takes place. But there is always the possibility of getting your degree from Univesity of KohSahn as soon as you arrive in Bangkok. That will improve your salary. I would reccommend getting a legitimate TEFL, because it is really helpful in teaching EFL/ESL classes. Even though i have both (legitimate as well) I have found the TEFL course to be a great deal more relevant to the classes i have been teaching for a couple of years than the Degree is.

The only other job you really can get (in Samui as well) would be to become a scuba instructor, if you are in to that sort of thing. The only downsides that getting an instructor certification is relatively expensive and there is no guarantee of work afterwards - although i am yet to meet an instructor that couldn't find work if they were worth their salt in the water. Also, chances are, you would be working illegally.

Teaching? You get a work permit and never have to go to the border. Downside? The pay is most likely going to be seashells and papaya pok-pok (ie. very little)

Getting a job in Thailand teaching is very easy - getting a good one, that is, one that you will be happy with, isn't really all that common.

I also like the notion that i think the guy who posts entirely in red posted is that you could make some real money by living in the U.K. for a portion of the year and then not have to worry about it so much while you are here. I know business owners that do that, and they live VERY well.

My 2 pennies..

-RilINjuH!

Thread Information