PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Help needed to get to places, in BKK
    Thanks

Help needed to get to places, in BKK

I will be going to BKK in a few weeks time. I've got a map on the Skytrain routes, which makes travelling much easier, but, beyond that, I'm very much in the dark. I'll be staying around Sukhumvit area and would like to visit the Grand Palace & wats along Chao Phraya; Dream World; Safari World. What is best & cheap way to get to those places?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    For the Grand Palace, you can take a taxi from Sukhumwit. I did it from Siam Square area and I think it was less than 90 baht.

The skytrain will take you down to the river at Taksin Bridge. You can then catch an express boat up the river. But, if you are going to Grand Palace, you can get on a boat there.

Dream World and Safari World are in north Bangkok. If you have been to Disney World then you will find Dream World overpriced. Foreigners have to pay a lot more. Same with Safari World. I am boycotting the latter because they illegally smuggled orangutans into the country and had them take part in kick boxing fights.

I don't know the bus numbers off-hand but it won't be so easy to go there.

Thanks
    hehehe
    Taxi!
    Dream World is at Rangsit and Safari World is at.. Ramintra? I believe both places are accessible only via taxi or maybe the local bus or vans which are too complicated for tourists (even me).
    Never been to Dream World myself but been to Safari World.
    Safari world is nice if you have your own car where you can drive in and see the animals inside your car...... and of cos they got the "shows" in Safari World as well and the most amusing will be those "stunt shows".... more "funny" than "impressive" to me. :p
    Didn't get to see the Orangutan boxing shows when I went cos they were still banned then.....
    oh well, if your stay are limited, you probably want to visit places of interests nearer the Bangkok city......
    cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irene
    I will be going to BKK in a few weeks time. I've got a map on the Skytrain routes, which makes travelling much easier, but, beyond that, I'm very much in the dark. I'll be staying around Sukhumvit area and would like to visit the Grand Palace & wats along Chao Phraya; Dream World; Safari World. What is best & cheap way to get to those places?
    For the Grand Palace, another option is the river ferry. If you take the Skytrain down to the Saphan Taksin station, you can catch a boat that goes upriver making numerous stops, including one near Wat Pho and the Grand Palace; at the same stop, you can take a little cross-river boat to Wat Arun. Unfortunately, no matter how many maps you study, the streets are a bit confusing in that area, and tuk tuk drivers and others will try to strike up a conversation.

I enjoyed seeing the contrast of river houses and fancy hotels, and escaping from the diesel fumes out on the streets, and there was a "tourist boat" option with unlimited on/off privileges for the day for a flat rate, which should help if you plan to see the wats and the Royal Barge Museum all in one exhausting day.

(Sorry, never heard of Dream World or Safari World)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts
    you can catch a boat that goes upriver making numerous stops, including one near Wat Pho and the Grand Palace
    This stop is called "Tha Tien" (sorry no Thai capability on this comp) it is the best stop if you have time to visit Wat Arun, Wat Pho and Grand Palace all in same day. The next stop along is actually closer to Grand Palace but either one would be fine, just be ready to ignore the touts along the way that tell you the Palace is closed for official holiday or other excuse.

Thread Information