PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Farangs with Thai Names
    Thanks

Farangs with Thai Names

I'm sure a lot of the Farangs here have Thai names or Thai nicknames. I'd like to hear what some of them are....how the names were acquired...and how regularly are the names used?

Thanks
    How about yours? Is that a nickname or a transliteration?

Thanks
    My web-name Trangam was created by just trying to imagine a sound I would like. I actually came up with trang and added 'am' as we do in India to many names. Its after that I hit upon 'Trang' as a place in Thailand and was quite excited with the co-incidence.

But I am not really a farang, am I? LOLz
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thanks
    Pailin is my Thai name. It was given to me by my Thai host mother when I first came to her house over 17 years ago. She was sewing my school uniform and had to have a name to sew in Thai. She decided (thankfully) that the name should be short, so that I'd have half a chance of remembering it. I was wearing my high school ring which has an emerald in it. She pointed to it and then to my blue school uniform. At that time I had no idea what she was saying...

(I arrived in Thailand being able to say and that was it. And believe me, there are very few opportunities to tell someone that the water is delicious and this day with my host mom did not qualify)

I later learned that Pailin means sapphire, which would fit her description of like my emerald, but blue. I like to think she also sees me as a precious jewel... but again, I think she just went for brevity.

When I am in Thailand my family (brother, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) calls me Թ (Pailin) but my students used to call me Karen. I answer to both. My Thai mother and father still call me a version (heavily accented) of Karen... but introduce me to others as Pailin.

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks
    I have been khunlung for so long now that I often forget my real name!
    Unfortunatly too many of us 'lungs' on the net, so added phudhu as I was at that time full time carer to my father.
    My Thai family assure me it fits!
    Came quite a shock recently when I realised that the master of ceremonies at a gathering in Doilo was refering to myself when he talked about khun Peter!
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thread Information