Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to say "Girlfriend"

I'm looking for the Thai word for "girlfriend", using the English alphabet.

Thanks
    "Fan," pronounced like the wind-blowing machine, is a common word which means either girlfriend or boyfriend.

Thanks
    , as Rikker says, is an appropriate word. It's pronounced with a "middle" tone (i.e. just a normal speaking tone).

Regarding pronunciation, the vowel is longer than "fan". It is sometimes written as "air". It's written as "faen" on http://www.thai2english.com and "faaen" on http://www.thai-language.com/id/131221. You can listen to a recording there, which is the best way to learn how to pronounce it, presuming that's what you want to do.

Thanks
    What you say about the proper pronunciation is correct, Mikenz66. This word is actually a loanword from English, as in "I'm a fan of Carabao," shortened in English from "fanatic". Although it still is used in this meaning in Thai, it has developed a new (and nowadays possibly more common) meaning of significant other.

Fun facts.

Thanks
    And if you want to talk about a friend, rather than a lover you can use the word ͹, pêuan, which has a falling tone, recording at http://www.thai-language.com/id/131193

A useful phrase when your girlfriend is jealous:
    ͹ Ό
    pêuan mâi faen
    Friend not lover

Thanks
    A useful phrase when your girlfriend is jealous:
    เพื่อน ไม่ แฟน
    pêuan mâi faen
    Friend not lover
    to make it clearer, you should add 'ใช่' after 'ไม่'
    เพื่อน ไม่ ใช่ แฟน
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks
    And is still also used for an adoring fan, too... which is confusing as heck. I was watching a talk show with Dan and Beam (I'm a little obsessed) and they kept saying how Dan and Beam had so many But no, of course...still single...just have many adoring fans!

Thanks

Girlfriend/Wife/boyfriend/husband/

Here below is a snippet from an old blog of mine.

Have a read and you will see that a direct translation isn't always as easy as you thought!

"Picking up a phrasebook and learning Thai just that way is fine for starters but not if you wanna be any ‘good’ in the language as many-a phrase/word etc.. just don’t translate properly Thai>English and vice-versa. Now: boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband what a darned headache those words just are in Thai! On first learning Thai the Farang believes Fairn = Boyfriend/Girlfriend and Mia = Wife. Of course that’s not always the case and is instead often Fairn = Wife/Husband and Mia = Girlfriend (in the case of the two living together in sin without being married, just like in the west).
    Getting back to Fairn = Wife, well that’s a polite way of saying ‘the wife’. As often enough ‘Mia’ is rather impolite (to a lot of folks). Then ‘Phanraya’ (the formal word) sounds far too poshy polite! Not knowing therefore what to actually call ‘her’ resort to ‘Fairn kong phom’ (me girlfriend) as it sounds cute and like they are still in love. Sure, half the country believes that the lovey-dovey stuff stops when you get married, just like the rest of the world I suppose"

Confused? Well, if you aren’t you ought to be!

Originally posted at:

http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php?...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks
    Hmm, yes, well I know I read/write/speak at a 5-year-old level on a good day. That makes me less and less likely to assume that I can express such relationship subtleties in Thai.

Seriously, the more you learn, the more you realise that you need to learn. At least my attempts keep my Thai friends amused, for now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenz66
    Hmm, yes, well I know I read/write/speak at a 5-year-old level on a good day. That makes me less and less likely to assume that I can express such relationship subtleties in Thai.

Seriously, the more you learn, the more you realise that you need to learn. At least my attempts keep my Thai friends amused, for now.
    Seriously, the more you learn, the more you realise that you need to learn.

Absolutely!

And since you have realized this, you will be able to learn the language more proficiently!!!

Even with our own native language..... i enjoy reading, and if there is a word that i come across (in English) that i'm not sure of, i'll go and check it up in a dictionary!
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thread Information