PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai Baht
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thai Baht

Thanks

talking Thai Baht

HI i have been told that 35,000 baht can keep a family for a year is the money really that low and cheap in thailand i was looking to take alot of money so i don't run dry i will be staying for about 3 months ???????????

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do you mean a "Thai family"? Depends a lot on how you live. I know some foreigners who live in Bangkok that can spend that much in one month. Will you moving around a lot? Will you stay in hotels? You need to give us some idea the kind of things you will do.

Thanks

Thai Baht

Most of the time i will be staying with a thai family in the north but i am looking to not run dry

Thanks
    You mentioned in the first post that you will be living with a "Thai family", but you maybe you have some more information for us?

For starters, why are you going? If you are an exchange student, you are less likely to spend as much as say a backpacker living with a girlfriend's family.

Where in the North?

"Not looking to run dry"? Most foriegn ATM cards with the Visa symbol allow you to withdrawl and deposit money from Thailand. Do you have one of these?

Do you like to travel around a lot? Eat a lot of snacks?

Thanks

A Lot of questions

First what Richard and DanD are asking are things you need to think about.
    For me, on my first trip to Thailand I did not know how readily available the ATM network is. I wish the ATM network in the US would work as well and haave the functions that Thailand does. I have found ATMs in small towns and anywhere tourists are.
    SO on my second trip, this is what I did. First take about $100 in small bills (small bills 2 20bills, 2 10bills, 4 5bills 20 1bills)and put it in your bag and Don’t touch it. This is for your trip home and Emergencies Only. You will need this cash in the airports on the way home.
    Next take $100 in small bills and put in your wallet. Now money to get you going in Thailand until you need to hit the ATM. I would take $500 in 100 dollar bills with me and exchange them into Thai Baht at the airport. The banks there will give you the same rate that you will get everywhere in Thailand. Also trade your baht back before you leave Thailand. The exchange stateside is not good for both selling and buy baht. This will give you about 18 to 20k baht. The exchange rate at the ATM is the same as at the bank and most stateside banks will only charge you 1 or 2 dollars fee for each transaction you make. So when you do take money from the ATM, try and take about 8000 baht and not 1000 baht ($200 to $25). %1 on $200 or 8% on $25. Look into you limits on you ATM card as well.
    Good luck on your trip to Thailand. You will have fun no matter what you do.
    Duckman

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON2006
    HI i have been told that 35,000 baht can keep a family for a year is the money really that low and cheap in thailand i was looking to take alot of money so i don't run dry i will be staying for about 3 months ???????????
    35,000baht can keep a family for a year??

U going for 3 months.
    So its 35,000baht/4 quarters and u get 8750baht

U bringing 8750baht only?

If u don't need to spend on anything else except food and u eat only 20baht a meal, then I guarantee u 8750baht will be enough.

SC

Thanks
    How big is the family? Age of children. and of course life still you want . So it all depends.
    If the spouse and everyone else is not together on the financial end ,it might not work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON2006
    HI i have been told that 35,000 baht can keep a family for a year is the money really that low and cheap in thailand i was looking to take alot of money so i don't run dry i will be staying for about 3 months
    That's less than 100 baht per day. I probably spent that much on bottled water, iced tea, young coconuts, ice cream bars, and snacks (not all at the same time, of course). Or one-two beers. You probably will need more if you plan to go out at all, or do any shopping for your hosts.

Check whether your bank ATM card will work in the town where you're going. It's much faster and easier than cashing travelers checks or taking a cash advance on a credit card.

Thanks
    I think 35,000 baht for a 3 months stay will be OK, if you are living with a Thai family and want to live a bit higher than a basic life style of a Thai family, just eating rice., and not travelling all over Thailand staying in Hotels.
    It all depends if the Thai family starts wanting you to pay for the cost of there whole family, because they consider you the Alfa male, they some times want some luxuries, they cannot usually afford.

Thanks
    'Alfa male'? I think you should not take kindness for granted and mix it up for servility. I am not Thai and cannot speak on their behalf but I take the license to connect this time... and I am sorry if I am wrong.

When we were young, and I speak of my country fellows. It was natural to feel a certain concern and affection for farangs when you saw them... men & women. For some reason the farang's get up sounded fragile to us and one wanted to reach out and help. Alongwith that was the fact that one was connecting with someone of from another world and many different stories and view points. At that time, often we would try to approach farangs and talk to them and once in a while there was this arrogant person and we would giggle and walk away... but deep inside quite offended. On other times, it was fun just talking nonsense and curious topics.

Now, I can safely say that this same trait once taken into commercial life can quickly be found as useful... and if one's mind becomes corrupt it can be used to exploit 'gullible farangs'. But people like me do not end up in those circumstances. On the other hand I would expect people in commerical life are prone to that.

On the other hand, farangs having witnessed such behaviour from locals and if with corrupt minds, can easily take advantage of the 'naive locals'.

But to connect with corrupt people means you have to venture into 'corruption-prone' areas. That is where you build theories like Alfa males? If not, you are not used to the culture you are connecting with and mixing up motives. Or you are just cheap. Making friends but never ready to share anything. So if you cannot, why make friends in the first place with such economic variance with you? Stay with your own kind please.

So, do not generalise.
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

Thread Information