PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
? how to plan a week in northern Thailand
    odelinded Guest

? how to plan a week in northern Thailand

I hope this question is not too "general" or stupid.
    We are a 46-yr-old couple...NOT into trekking , white water rafting, etc., but able and willing for "hiking" , lots of walking and stuff like that.

We plan to be in Thailand for about 17days in December/Jan.

Can anyone give us ideas how to build an itenerary for northern (and north-eastern) thailand. Chang Mai seems to be an absolute necessity. But there is soooo much in the guide books, I don't know how to narrow it down!

All tips will be really appreciated.

My wife and I will be staying in Chiang Mai for a week. We've decided that we'll try and see what we can according to weather and our whims.
    (We might even take a cooking class!)

You're right! There really is too much information in the guidebooks to digest. I'm approaching it with a relaxed attitude to just take in what I can--otherwise, it's no longer a holiday.

Good luck!!

odelinded Guest
    that is more or less my attitude too...I have started writing "post-it notes" when i see something I really think looks interesting and sticking them onto the pages of the guide book for easy finding later....

when are yo uplanning to be in Chang Mai?

We'll be up north for the first week of November--just until after Loy Krathong

Afterwards, we'll start touring south for the next two weeks.

(I am getting so very anxious to leave!!)

Chiang Mai is really nice, but you should also take in Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle, from the Triangle you can take a boat across the river to Laos, don't need your passport, just as you get off the boat there is a police tent, you pay 20 baht and get a paper stamped by them making you ok, also you can take the small boat down river to the elephant camp and take a really nice ride through the village and down through the river for 150 baht. Takes about one hour or so.

odelinded Guest
    ok...after some research, etc....have decided to sign up with a 3-day trek that leaves chang-mai and takes in all the major stuff...so far there is Thanni or Udi.trek companies...anyone hear about them?

Thread Information