PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
pak bung fai daeng
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

pak bung fai daeng

Please forgive my awful transliteration -- if someone wants to show me how to write that in Thai, I'd definitely appreciate it.

In any case, this was one of my favorite things to eat in Thailand, and I've finally found a place around here that sells the vegetable, so now I just need to know how to make it. I've been told it's very simple, but I've yet to get an actual recipe.

Anyone want to help me out? Thanks!

Thanks
    1. pak bung fai daeng = ผักบุ้งไฟแดง

2. how to make it...
    ingrediants:
    1. morning glory -- cut by your fingers tips to be about 1 inch long
    2. garlic chop
    3. oyster sauce -- about one table spoon
    4. optional, put chilli in -- crunch it with knife
    5. cooking oil

prepare all and put them in one plate, morning glory, garlic, oyster sauce and chilli.

warm wok to medium till very high heat, put cooking oil in.

put all preparing ingrediants to wok, stir-fried in very few times.

Tips: this menu will be very good taste with cooking oil, and heat in wok are ready, and stir for very few times, not so long.

you can take a look on vdo here (number 17) too (but this one put crispy pork in)
    http://www.enjoythaifood.com/videos/

Thanks

Gor Gai

Yesterday the wife expressed a wish for Morning Glory seeds so that we could grow them for various food dishes. I came across this thread this a.m. and after watching the cooking video started a search for the seeds.

There are a number of sources here in the US but after reading the descriptions and reviewing some of the photographs I believe it's not the same plant. e.g. http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_im..._violacea2.jpg

My question: Am I right in my assumption that it is not the same plant, and if not, does anybody know where I can get seeds of the Asian plant?

Thanks
    I believe I have answered my own question. After further searching, I have come across references to Water Spinach which is one of the Morning Glory's (Ipomoea Aquatica). It is considered a weed here and has posed problems in Florida. A good description can be found at http://www.dep.state.fl.us/lands/inv...s/Wtrspnch.pdf

Is this the plant?

Thanks
    One other question.
    A number of other Morning Glories contain LSD in the seeds. Is this why pak bung fai daeng makes such a nice meal?

Thanks
    Khun Peter ka,

Yes, it's not the same, you can see from the leaves, but flowers are very similar.

I guess some Asian groceries may have plant seeds, but you know what? Weather in U.S. may not possibly to plant it, I brought them once 2 years ago, they said 18 days you can eat it, but i got only one inch tall plus very few grow up, I planted in October. So, don't know if summer there can carry it.

Tell me if you could find and can plant it.

Thanks
    I have alot( I mean alot) of Pug bung seed will share. Send me your address.

Thanks
    no, they put MSG that's why! hahaha.

Thanks
    We had an extensive discussion on something very similar to this on this thread a while back.

Thanks

Any updates?

has anyone found the seed for this the 'puk boong' that is eaten in thailand yet? I would like to try to plant it too. I surfed the internet using 'Ipomoea Aquatica' and found a few that looks like 'puk boong' but I'm not sure. if anyone found the correct name and seed please let me know.

here are a few pics I found that I think is the 'puk boong' that we eat.

Ipomoea aquatica - Convolvulaceae
    http://www.exot-nutz-zier.de/images/...a_aquatica.jpg

http://www.exot-nutz-zier.de/images/..._aquatica2.jpg

Thread Information